Nav doesn't turn off during calls?

checker555

Reaction score
Mine doesn't. The person I'm talking to doesn't hear it at least, but it drives me crazy. Is there a setting where I can tell it to mute itself if I take an incoming call? I thought it should be a no-brainer to be automatic.

ShowTime

Reaction score
Why is it a no-brainer? It makes immeasurably more sense that it stays on during a call. If you're using Nav, it's presumably because you don't know where you're going. If you have to take a call, you obviously can't see the map (unless you're using speakerphone/BT I suppose) and without the Nav directions breaking through, you would have no idea if your next turn/exit/etc was coming up. Anyway, I don't think there's any way to make it do this stock, but I think I recall a thread a while back about an app that might do something like what you're looking for. Let me look around for it.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
There have been several threads on this scenario, I even started one. But none have had any answers.

It amazes me the second post to every thread is... why do you want this? Implying you are crazy. You are not crazy.

Droid is first and foremost a phone. MP3s stop on a phone call, Pandora stops on a phone call, iheartradio stops on a phone call. Why should Nav voice NOT stop on a phone call? And yes I use Nav every single day and can talk on speaker with the phone in a windshield mount and follow on screen directions. But I can't talk over Nav voice

OP
C

checker555

Reaction score
Why is it a no-brainer? It makes immeasurably more sense that it stays on during a call. If you're using Nav, it's presumably because you don't know where you're going. If you have to take a call, you obviously can't see the map (unless you're using speakerphone/BT I suppose) and without the Nav directions breaking through, you would have no idea if your next turn/exit/etc was coming up. Anyway, I don't think there's any way to make it do this stock, but I think I recall a thread a while back about an app that might do something like what you're looking for. Let me look around for it.

I consider it a no-brainer because if nav breaks into a call, I can then no longer understand EITHER what the caller is saying OR the nav--the two layers garble over each other, so there is no benefit to having the nav continue during a call. It only makes the phone call incomprehensible AND has no added nav benefit since that is also then impossible to decipher.

And if I'm hands-free while driving, which is the norm, I still have the nav on visual anyway, so the voice commands aren't so critical that I could not do without them for a few moments while on the phone.

I would *absolutely* still know when my next move was coming up. Even if I'm not hands-free and actually pick up the call, again...the nav doesn't help when it's layered over the real person who is talking to me.

dylanthecat

Reaction score
I agree with you checker. This happened to me just the other day. I was going across Milwaukee and I knew how to get close to where I was going. I turned on nav before I left to help me when I got off the freeway. So my wife calls as I was turning from one freeway onto another. Karen (what I call all my nav device voices) started yapping in my ear as my wife was talking. I had to keep saying hold on and wait for Karen to finish. My wife would start talking again and then Karen is back. I could not understand either of them and had to hang up the call. It definitely distracted me which is not good. There really needs to be a setting to mute nav on calls if for nothing else than from a safety standpoint.

Milehighjc

Reaction score
FWIW, for me, it works the way I want it to. I want to hear the nav instructions. Having said that, I certainly dont think you are crazy, I can see why you would want it to mute. Its all in how you use the NAV.

So... it would be nice if it was a setting in my humble opinion.

jc

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
FWIW, for me, it works the way I want it to. I want to hear the nav instructions. Having said that, I certainly dont think you are crazy, I can see why you would want it to mute. Its all in how you use the NAV.

So... it would be nice if it was a setting in my humble opinion.

jc

So how do you use the Nav to be able to hold a conversation simultaneously over the Nav voice?

Milehighjc

Reaction score
Since the person Im talking to doesnt hear the NAV voice (kind of interesting how the droid manages that) it typically doesnt bother me... if its complicated instructions, Ill just ask the other person to hang on for a second.

jc

OP
C

checker555

Reaction score
I have used the mute function manually when I have been the passenger, but it's not really practical/safe when I'm driving to have to reach over and start hitting buttons before I answer a call. I would appreciate it if they would add an option to mute nav during calls automatically. That way everyone could be happy.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
According to a poster in this Thread, the directional voice can be muted.

As the above thread suggests I can also turn the Droid off by hitting a button, that's is not what me or the OP is talking about. Automated mute is what is needed.

Just hitting the menu and mute is not exactly reality anyway.

To manually mute Nav voice during a call requires>>swipe to answer phone>> speaker>>apologize that you cannot hear because of Nav voice, please give me a minute (which the caller does not understand because they do not hear it) Hit back arrow to take you back to the Nav screen>>Menu key>>Mute>>Back arrow to clear screen so you can can visually Nav>> apologize to caller for fumbling through 30 seconds of button pushing (you have to pay attention to traffic while you do all of this) before you can speak.>> Realise this was your largest client on the phone who's time you just waisted because you could not even recognise their voice over the Nav voice.

OP
C

checker555

Reaction score

As the above thread suggests I can also turn the Droid off by hitting a button, that's is not what me or the OP is talking about. Automated mute is what is needed.

To manually mute Nav voice during a call requires>>swipe to answer phone>> speaker>>apologize that you cannot hear because of Nav voice, please give me a minute (which the caller does not understand because they do not hear it) Hit back arrow to take you back to the Nav screen>>Menu key>>Mute>>Back arrow to clear screen so you can can visually Nav>> apologize to caller for fumbling through 30 seconds of button pushing (you have to pay attention to traffic while you do all of this) before you can speak.>> Realise this was your largest client on the phone who's time you just waisted because you could not even recognise their voice over the Nav voice.
Hah--I almost typed in that whole scenario, too, but I was on the droid and didn't want to type that much. That's exactly it, though. Too much to have to do manually at the beginning of a call.

It's cool by me if some people want Nav talking over their phone call...a toggle option would make everyone happy, though.

BuzWeaver

Reaction score

I do understand, as I mentioned in a previous post. The Nav to me is just a backup to my Garmin, when/if I don't have my GPS with me I'll use the phone, if needed. Fortunately I've not received any calls while using the Nav.