My Nexus signal and battery issues

wvdroidman

Reaction score
I figured since the last thread ran it's course I'd start a new one (if that is allowed).
Anyways I am still trying to figure out the battery issue and signal issue. I am going to the verizon store today and see what they can do for me. I already have their $50 extended battery which doesn't help. To figure I paid $60 for my thunderbolt extended and it was three times better than this nexus extended.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm a little confused why you felt the need to start a new thread...many were helping you in the old thread with these exact same probelms. And like many have told you...the Thunderbolt extended battery is 2750 mAh. Effectively 650 mAh more than the Nexus extended battery (which would equate to approximately 30% more life than the Nexus extended). And you haven't provided screenshots of GSAM battery monitor or from better battery stats.

As for the signal issue, if it simply isn't working in your area (and you are running the latest radios [FF02 and FG02]) then you have a couple of options. You could go through tech support over the phone running through the motions of factory resetting, etc and then if you tell them you are still having signal issues, they will likely offer to send you a refurbished unit. You can try the refurbished unit and see if it performs any better. If it still doesn't, then you'll have to use a different phone. You can talk to Verizon and see if they'd be willing to send you a Razr as a replacement (though they likely won't switch you until you've gone through 4 or so replacements).

We can only help if all the information is laid out in front of us.

Last edited:

CD95YJ

Reaction score
As far as battery, are you running Google Now? I haven't tried myself but I gave seen some say turning off Google Now helps battery life.

Now signal issues, what prl are you on? Updating this might help you out.

Go into settings>about phone>status. If your not on 52870 you can update it this way:
Save *22899 as a contact, then dial that contact. It will update your roaming the way you did on the old 3G phones. Don't worry, *22899 does not fry the sim card, I've done it to my phone and I'll attach a screenshot. You might also call Verizon and see if they have any known issues in your area, it might not be your phone...

Screenshot

View attachment 57597

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
As far as battery, are you running Google Now? I haven't tried myself but I gave seen some say turning off Google Now helps battery life.

Now signal issues, what prl are you on? Updating this might help you out.

Go into settings>about phone>status. If your not on 52870 you can update it this way:
Save *22899 as a contact, then dial that contact. It will update your roaming the way you did on the old 3G phones. Don't worry, *22899 does not fry the sim card, I've done it to my phone and I'll attach a screenshot. You might also call Verizon and see if they have any known issues in your area, it might not be your phone...

The only problem with updating the PRL that way is that it puts you on a 3G-only PRL. As far as I understand, that means you won't roam for 4G. When roaming, you would only pick up 3G. But I've found nothing concrete that supports it. Kind of a "I heard once" kind of thing. Fact is though that 5XXXX PRL is a 3G PRL. Just a matter of if it actually has any effect or not.

Last edited:
OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
what will they do if I take it to the verizon store, before I drive 40 minutes to the nearest store.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
wvdroidman said:
what will they do if I take it to the verizon store, before I drive 40 minutes to the nearest store.

Are you rooted? If not, they will most likely just swap out your sim card and send you on your way, they don't really deal with tech issues in store. If you are rooted they may void out your factory warranty if they see you are, may not, depending on who your dealing with.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
if you drive to the store and tell them your issues they will probably factory reset it for you and probably insist that everything is fine. However the store is 40min away and more than likely in a strong Verizon area (obviously where you're not).

Save yourself the time, money on gas, and frustration and just call Verizon. Ask for a refurb and try it. If you have issues with the refurb ask for a different model and that the Nexus just doesn't hold up in your area. Phone support always seems to have the "nicer" people anyway.

As for your battery issue, Syndicate explained it well. The only way you're going to experience any significant improvement in battery life is to root and ROM.

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
prl is 15154

How can I tell if I am rooted? I was reading how to root and don't think I tried it yet.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
prl is 15154

How can I tell if I am rooted? I was reading how to root and don't think I tried it yet.
Do you have SuperUser in your app drawer?

If you didn't root it and if you got it brand new, then you're not rooted.

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
where is my app drawer? I have only had a thunderbolt and original droid

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
where is my app drawer? I have only had a thunderbolt and original droid

This is where you get to your list of apps so you can launch them. By default it is a circle-ish shape with a few dots inside of it, at the bottom center of your home screen.

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
I always called it the launcher. Anyways no superuser app in their. Have rom manager on there though.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
I always called it the launcher. Anyways no superuser app in their. Have rom manager on there though.

It is the launcher, where the apps are listed is commonly referred to as the app drawer. It used to be a handle you had to pull up to expose a drawer of sorts.

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
I think I remember that from my original droid but that was 2 years ago and alot has changed in 2 years.