My Droid set up guide for new users

kev83202

Reaction score
I always end up being an unofficial technical support for about 15-20 of my friends, family, and co-workers. So I sent this out to all of them in an email. Thought I would post it here as well, let me know if you see anything I should add/change:

Guide to set up your droid when you first get it
Step 1 plug your phone into your computer via USB, on the phone pull down the notification area, touch the USB connected and choose MOUNT.
Now on your PC open the SD card and create a new folder called Media inside that folder create the following folders: music, notifications, ringtones, alarms
Now you can add music ringtones or message notifications from your computer, or when downloading them from the phone put them in these folders. If you put the ringtones and notifications in these folders they will show up in the list when choosing custom rings.

Step 2
If you are using Outlook (not corporate exchange) download google calendar sync Getting started with Google Calendar Sync - Google Calendar Help follow the instructions there.
Export your contacts to gmail follow the instructions here Exporting contacts from other mail providers - Gmail Help
(I recommend doing this BEFORE you get your droid if possible)

Step 3 On your phone preferably on the right or left screen touch and hold, choose widget, scroll down and choose “power control” move it where you want it. Now hit the menu button> sound and display > Brightness, and uncheck Automatic brightness. Now you will use the power control widget to adjust your screen brightness along with the other things it lets you turn on and off. The Automatic brightness feature doesn’t work well on any phone, and seems to cause problems with the face detection when on a phone call.

Step 4
Open the Market and search for Barcode scanner install it. Now when you see the square bar codes people link you can just scan it and get the app

Step 5
Download a file manager, I would recommend Astro or ES file manager
ES file explorer
chart

Astro
chart

Android does not have a native file manager so you’ll defiantly want one.
These are the main things that I think everyone should do to get started, the following may not be for everyone, but you might want to try them out.

Step 6
Download Handcent sms
chart

Now open the messaging app and click settings, scroll down and uncheck Notifications. Go into the Handcent app and play around with the settings, you can customize just about everything. This program will also let you speak your text messages :)

Step 7 Make your phone your own, menu > wallpaper change it to something you like there is an app in the market called backgrounds or download some from here http://www.droidforums.net/gallery/

Some other tips:

Set up custom ringtones and notifications: Touch contacts > select the contact you want to change> Menu> Options> ringtone select the one you want.

Set up 1-touch dialing to a contact: press and hold in an open screen space, touch shortcuts> direct dial> choose contact.

Bring up a quick launch of the last 6 used apps: Press and hold the Home button.

Check out www.androlib.com from your computer to find apps, check under top of the day.

I keep getting asked why when you hit the voice search button you can't call contacts: The Voice dialer app is towards the bottom of the applications list, if you use it often I would recommend moving it out to the main screen. It works for calling contacts or opening applications.

Last edited:

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
yup! very nice. only thing i would mention is that the FIRST time you plug in the device, it prompts you do mount, rather than having to pull down the notification bar and selecting mount. they did this for me at verizon, but for those that had/have a droid shipped to them, this is what will happen. good guide!

ejbaca03

Reaction score
I vote this should be a sticky. Lots of good information here.:)

OP
kev83202

kev83202

Reaction score
yup! very nice. only thing i would mention is that the FIRST time you plug in the device, it prompts you do mount, rather than having to pull down the notification bar and selecting mount. they did this for me at verizon, but for those that had/have a droid shipped to them, this is what will happen. good guide!

Good to know, mine must have got plugged in at the V store as well.

thelion

Reaction score
Ok. I have had a Droid (or three) for a couple of weeks now and I have been reading here for a bit and I never knew I could scan those barcodes! I always thought it was some weird internet thing...and I am just not internet cool :)

I am so excited now! I love my barcode scanner....

OP
kev83202

kev83202

Reaction score
Ok. I have had a Droid (or three) for a couple of weeks now and I have been reading here for a bit and I never knew I could scan those barcodes! I always thought it was some weird internet thing...and I am just not internet cool :)

I am so excited now! I love my barcode scanner....

It took me a couple days to figure it out as well :) there are also websites that let you make custom barcodes that can lead to your website or whatever. Also if your in contacts, open a contact and click share, there will be an option to display a barcode that somebody else could scan.

thelion

Reaction score
See now, my first thought was "nuh-uh no way" and then I tried it and holy crap it works. I don't know what I would ever use that for but I like it still!

OP
kev83202

kev83202

Reaction score
See now, my first thought was "nuh-uh no way" and then I tried it and holy crap it works. I don't know what I would ever use that for but I like it still!

Ya mostly useless but cool things :)

bots

Reaction score
Not to be a correction nazi or anything, your post is full of useful info, I just thought I would clarify one thing - a long press of the home button brings up a task switcher with the last six programs that you have run, not the six most used.

OP
kev83202

kev83202

Reaction score
Not to be a correction nazi or anything, your post is full of useful info, I just thought I would clarify one thing - a long press of the home button brings up a task switcher with the last six programs that you have run, not the six most used.

fixed thanks