My Droid is no longer rootable...wtf happened?

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The SPRecovery file does not get loaded onto the SDcard.

Install RSD Lite onto your windows computer.

Run RSD Lite from your computer and install the sprecovery.sbf file with RSD Lite after browsing for it on your computer.

Once installed grab a rom and put that on your SDcard.

Reboot into SPRecovery on your phone, backup your current config and then install the rom.

I was talking about the .sbf file. I just tried to flash again and it still gives me the same error regardless of what file I used.

I have tried both of those guides and I still get the same error, and regardless of what guide I've used I still get the same error. For some reason the memory card will not recognize that the SPRecovery file has been loaded onto it.

Above you have stated you tried to get the sprecovery file (the SBF file?) onto your card. That SBF file never has to go onto your card. It stays on the PC.

However, it sounds like you now have SPRecovery installed on your phone.

At the top of the screen it should tell you the recovery version.

If it looks like this, then you have SPRecovery installed:

SPRecovery.PNG

TekHawk

Reaction score
I still don't think you have answered the question. What does the recovery screen way when you first hold down x then press power while still holding the x button

This is the best part, when I hold down X and power on the device it goes straight to the back up screen, where you can wipe the cache/partition, and do a factory wipe/backup or reboot the phone. There's not triangle thingy anymore /!\

sounds like you have sbrecovery flash through rsd what exactly are you trying to do now though install a rom through that or through rom manager or what?

if you can give detailed steps i'm sure someone will know where this is tripping up

if this is a new unit though there was a batch of droids released a month or two ago that had sd cards that needed to be reformated to work with the hacked recoveries for what ever reason

ataris_kid

Reaction score
Yeah, like they said above, it sounds like you've got the patched recovery which will allow you to install a rooted rom. The .sbf file that you installed is only the recovery (which allows you to install a rooted rom), it doesn't give you root access just by flashing it. You've got to install a rooted rom using the recovery before you can use ROM Manager from within Android.

OP
doktabl4ck

doktabl4ck

Reaction score
Well when I followed the guide I used the files that were in the guide, and every after I unrooted and when back to stock, I tried to root again and that's when I kept getting the error. I re-followed the guide to root-unroot guide, and I still couldn't get the root back and I used the same .sbf file every time. Then I deleted all the files I had and tried 500 other guides with the same result. I get no /!\ when holding X and powering on, it goes straight to the screen with the android in post 16.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Then you do indeed have the SPRecovery tool installed. Put away RSD Lite for now, though you may need it later ;)

Go to the first link in my sig, go to post 13 and proceed to install the even more froyo rom AFTER you back up your phone with SPRecovery.

backup/install

advanced nandroid recovery

check off everything

name the rom: stock2.1_20100712 so you can find it easily later

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
Well when I followed the guide I used the files that were in the guide, and every after I unrooted and when back to stock, I tried to root again and that's when I kept getting the error. I re-followed the guide to root-unroot guide, and I still couldn't get the root back and I used the same .sbf file every time. Then I deleted all the files I had and tried 500 other guides with the same result. I get no /!\ when holding X and powering on, it goes straight to the screen with the android in post 16.

If you are getting a screen that looks like Christm's in post 16, then you are in recovery. Now reboot your phone and if you are using SPRecovery method to flash new roms, choose your rom, download it to your computer, rename it "update.zip", mount your droid, put the new rom (aka update.zip) on the root of your sd card, unmount your droid, boot into recovery (x and power button), install from sd card and you should be good to go. (I am not totally familar with SPRecovery so I may have missed a step so please follow the instructions given by the specific Developer whos Rom you are going to use).

OP
doktabl4ck

doktabl4ck

Reaction score
WTF!!! IT WORKED! You guys are some smart ass people and eye <3 chooo for eeet! Thank you.

Himey97

Reaction score
The subject of this thread is appropriate.

I have SPR installed and a screen like post 16 when booting with an X.

If I try Advanced Android Backup I got an error 31.

If I try to Install a ROM using the BB renamed to install I get this error:
E: Can’t mount /dev/block/mmcblkop1 (no such file or directory)
E: Can’t mount SDCARD.update.zip
Installation aborted.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The subject of this thread is appropriate.

I have SPR installed and a screen like post 16 when booting with an X.

If I try Advanced Android Backup I got an error 31.

If I try to Install a ROM using the BB renamed to install I get this error:
E: Can’t mount /dev/block/mmcblkop1 (no such file or directory)
E: Can’t mount SDCARD.update.zip
Installation aborted.

You've got an easy one. Nandroid Error Codes

Now, just be careful and reformat the card, not the computer. Take the files on your card and copy them all to the computer. Then reformat the card and copy the files back to the card.

Let us know how you make out.

Himey97

Reaction score
OK I'm back at Bugless Beast.

It was a stupid mistake and an easy fix.

MISTAKE ... I was an idiot and renamed the rom on the sd card to "install" instead of "update"

Turns out that when you try to install a file called update from SPR and it can't be found the process corrupts the SD card.

So I got back to the normal phone home page and:
  • Connected phone to USB and copied the SD card files to the PC hard drive
  • Then unmount (Safely Remove Hardware) and turn off the USB connection from pull down.
  • Remove the USB cable from phone
  • In the phones menu go to "Settings" then "SD Card & phone Storage".
  • "Unmount SD card". This unmounts it from the phone.
  • "Format SD card" will then be selectable. Selecting that will format the card and when finished, automatically remount it to the phone so the Droid can use it.
  • Reconnect the USB cable and turn on USB connection and copy back all of the SD card files from the PC.
  • While you're there loaded up BB ROM and named it "update"
  • Unmounted (Safely Remove Hardware) again and turned off the USB connection from pull down.
  • Power Off - Power up with the X.
  • Follow normal steps to install the update.zip and woohoo, back to BB:)
Thanks to christim and tcrews for their helpful posts.