My Droid came early and now I need help figuring this out :o)

mixedterp05

Reaction score
So my Droid wasnt supposed to arrive until tonight at the earliest but it arrived yesterday. I am super excited, but had plans last night and wasnt able to explore the phone at all other than to set up my e-mail and input contacts...

Here are some things that are already driving me crazy that I need to change the settings to: (Please HELP!!)

*After not touching my screen for like 15 seconds it goes blank. If I try to press the screen at all to go back to the home screen it wont let me. The only way I can is by sliding out the keyboard and unlocking it. This bothers me. So:
1. How can I change the setting so it doesnt do it after approx. 15 seconds?
2. Other than sliding out my keyboard how do I get back to the screen?

*How can I change the font?

*How do I change it so my phone vibrates whenever I get a text or email?

*I feel like my contacts are too synced with Facebook. I want their pictures and thats it basically, are there levels to how much syncing you cna do?

*I can't figure out how to compose a text. I have my friends phone number in my phone but when I put her name in the message box it does not come up...what am I doing wrong?

I know these are all pretty basic questions but the guide it came with was no help, and as everyone told me, this phone is very different than a BB Storm!

If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So my Droid wasnt supposed to arrive until tonight at the earliest but it arrived yesterday. I am super excited, but had plans last night and wasnt able to explore the phone at all other than to set up my e-mail and input contacts...

Here are some things that are already driving me crazy that I need to change the settings to: (Please HELP!!)

*After not touching my screen for like 15 seconds it goes blank. If I try to press the screen at all to go back to the home screen it wont let me. The only way I can is by sliding out the keyboard and unlocking it. This bothers me. So:

*I feel like my contacts are too synced with Facebook. I want their pictures and thats it basically, are there levels to how much syncing you cna do?

*I can't figure out how to compose a text. I have my friends phone number in my phone but when I put her name in the message box it does not come up...what am I doing wrong?

I know these are all pretty basic questions but the guide it came with was no help, and as everyone told me, this phone is very different than a BB Storm!

1. Download Screebl. It will keep your screen from going blank. Why are you touching it for 15 seconds, that doesn't make sense?

2. Answered by #1

3. Go to your settings/accounts & sync and turn facebook off.

4. Well, actually 3. You can't change the font. That's a frequent complaint.

5. You should just type in your friends name and it should pop up as your typing it for you to select. Make sure you have her phone number listed as mobil. If it isn't mobil, it won't come up for texting.

6. Forget everything you ever new about Blackberry. You are right, this is a totally different phone. Do not worry about app memory or battery pulls. That should not be necessary.

Edit: I missed the phone vibration. In messaging tap menu/settings/notifications/vibrate.

Hope this helps.

OP
M

mixedterp05

Reaction score
Thank you both for your help! This is probably the stupidest question of all, but how do you turn the phone off?

OP
M

mixedterp05

Reaction score
hookbill.. I'm not touching the screen for 15 seconds, I mean if I don't touch it for 15 seconds it will go off. I downloaded sceebl but cant seem to set it so the screen does not go blank. Did I need to download the upgraded verison? I just got the light version. Also, how do you delete downloads?

LT*

Reaction score
Tapping the power button will turn the screen on if that's what you're looking for.

patriot839

Reaction score
Ok go to SETTINGS - SOUNDS AND DISPLAY - SCREEN TIMEOUT that will make it so you can keep your screen on longer screeble sucks and that was bad advice after you fix your screen read the pdf file I gave you just scroll your finger up to flip the pages

patriot839

Reaction score
Scroll thru the settings menu and tinker around a little then you will see all the different ways to change the factory settings also in most apps when you hit the menu button it will give you an option for settings these are different settings menus that are helpful to play with if you have anymore questions feel free to ask here we can help you

OP
M

mixedterp05

Reaction score
thanks again. can you guys help me delete downloads? with that, i thought i downloaded swype and now i cant find it. does anyone have a working link with easy instructions?

JayCizzo

Reaction score
thanks again. can you guys help me delete downloads? with that, i thought i downloaded swype and now i cant find it. does anyone have a working link with easy instructions?

Download Astro File Manager (or something similar) from the Marketplace. This will allow you to browse all the folders on your SD card. Navigate to the "Downloads" folder, long press on a file, click edit, click delete.

butch350

Reaction score

I'm not being an a**, but the best way to learn your phone is to
go to "setting" and experiment with the various settings and functions
to see how everything works. (everything is pretty much self-explanatory)

I've had my phone for a couple of weeks now and I know exactly where
everything is, just by browsing through the onboard menu and seeing
how the phone reacts to your adjustments.
(i don't think you can really screw up anything - much).

Peace :)

Reaction score
to delete downloaded apps hit the menu button, then go to settings,then go to applications,then manage applications, pick the one you wish to get rid of, then uninstall:)