cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
b2gapps.jpg
b2gdialer.jpg

As MWC 2012 moves closer, the news and rumors are getting more hot and heavy. Mozilla has teamed up with LG for the release of its first mobile device at MWC 2012, said a "source" close to the project. The Mozilla/LG phone will be powered by Mozilla’s brand new Boot to Gecko (B2G) operating system. . Extreme Tech described Boot to Gecko as just a cut-down version of Linux that automatically loads Gecko. It's essentially a simplified version of Chrome OS. The actual device will be aimed at developers, not the mass user initially. The source could not confirm the price or specs, and we would also like to note, availability is still unknown.

LG won't be the only ones invited to the party, Brendan Eich, the creator of JavaScript and the Chief Technology Officer of Mozilla, says that there will be partners at MWC 2012. Who those partners might be is anyone's guess, but we will find out soon enough. With the acquisition of Motorola Mobility by Google Inc. pretty much a green light, the mobile landscape will more than likely change, especially when it comes to Google and it's partners. B2G's open platform will give the carriers a blank chalkboard with access to an open operating system, based on an open browser and framework, with a truly open Marketplace. That, in and of itself, is a scary concept for those who dislike where the carriers seem to want to take their equipment. This is pretty much an open door to load up bloat all day long, or not. With B2G, carriers would once again be in control. Is that a good thing or a bad thing, we don't know.....yet.

This is pretty big news no doubt, and we are quite excited to see exactly where this is headed. This could be the biggest news to come out of MWC 2012 when all the details drop. The game is about to change. Turning every browser into an OS is not chump change. Whew! As always, we'd love for you to share your thoughts and comments with us.

Source: Extreme Tech

Last edited by a moderator:

cush2push

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I love the idea of open source and doing whatever you want with it but a few limitations need to be implemented like how much bloat and user interfaces i haven't seen one interface that has been more helpful than hurtful
B2G has promise but does need a good showing from lg to even have anychance

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent ICS Blue

EmericanX

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I honestly hope they bring more to the table then what those screens look..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
I thought Chrome OS was as simple as it could get. All your crap is in the cloud, and all you can do is email or Google Docs, etc. how much simpler can you get? unless they're referring to the design/UI, which I don't think devs would even want a design like that rendering... They gotta step up the game and make it a little more attractive if they plan to compete with Android/iOS or even RIM.

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I agree with the original article in that it's going to be at least mid year before we start seeing a nice looking version of B2G. But then again you never know what may happen at MWC when they announce this. They could have a pretty polished version of it already running on this device.

I'll tell you what, I'm pretty intrigued and cannot wait to see what this is all about.