Moving ringtones and notification tones to sdcard

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I suggest that everyone that wants to be able to mod their BBv0.6.1, to move their ringtones to the sdcard/media/audio/ringtones & their notification tones to sdcard/media/audio/notifications...

This will free up enough space in the system partiton so that themes and subthemes can be applied...

Just FYI and a suggestion...;/.

OP
Mbk

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
People don't already keep them on the SD card?

Not the ones that comes with Pete's ROM, usually they seem to leave them in the system partition

Half Live

Reaction score
When I try to move them using Astro, it doesn't seem to move them.

I can copy them to the SD card but when I go to delete them from the phone it wont let me. Is there another way to do this?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
When I try to move them using Astro, it doesn't seem to move them.

I can copy them to the SD card but when I go to delete them from the phone it wont let me. Is there another way to do this?

You need to gain permission(s) to the system files first (i.e. they are copy protected). You can select this in Pete's ROM Toolkit or use a terminal.

Quickest way:
And for anyone that can't use Astro to do the move, just use Terminal Emulator and type the following commands..

su
sys -rw
cp -r /system/media/audio/ringtones /sdcard/media/audio
rm -r /system/media/audio/ringtones

then do the same for the notifications folder...

su
sys -rw
cp -r /system/media/audio/notifications /sdcard/media/audio
rm -r /system/media/audio/notifications

the above scripts will copy over the entire folders to your sdcard then delete the ones from your system partition...

OP
Mbk

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Thanks KZI, was just going to post the script but you had already done it......;)

megna22

Reaction score
I have root elplorer I downloaded from the marker it will let you move the files as it has a button that changes promissions for you might be an easier way out for ya

me4droid

Reaction score
I'm a newbee and have stock phones. I'm using Astro. I can locate ringtones/notifications that I have added to the phone. I can't find the original ringtones to copy to my sd card.

My goal is to copy ringtones/notifications from a R2D2 phone, then copy to a D2G phone using Astro.

I tried a search on one of the ringtones but Astro didn't find it, so I don't know where to look for ringtones/notifications so I can copy to the sd card.

Thanks!