Movies look great, but I can only load 2???

audioman42

Reaction score
I used handbrake to convert all of my movies and they look great on the Droid, but if I load more than two movies onto the SD card the gallery freezes whenever I try to open a movie and won't play anything. Is there some kind of limit on how much space movies can take up? My movies average about 800MB each.

Thanks

D

dvdcatalyst

Try a different video player application

this post

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-audio-video/7084-dvd-catalyst-3-issue-3.html#post57912

has some info.

The default video gallery DOES NOT display the movie titles....all you will see is a thumbnail.

There IS an app in the market by Jeff Hamilton called "Video Player"....this WILL display the movie title and the size of the movie. There is also another app called "Cinema" this will show all folders on your SD card such as pictures, music, video etc. Unfortunately it will not display all the other media...unless it's a video. but that app does display the movie title and format type.

My personal opinion, if you want to scroll through a list that displays what videos are on your SD card; go with "Video Player"...BTW....it's free!

Give me a minute and I'll post a couple screenshots.

DroidScreen5.png

DroidScreen6.png

JTAC

Reaction score
What size SD card do you have in your phone. Unless it's a 2 GB card, you should be able to upload many more movies on your card. I have 13 movies on mine and tons of music and pictures...no problems here. Not sure if you posted it, but what are you using to encode your movies?

OP
audioman42

audioman42

Reaction score
Try a different video player application

this post

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-audio-video/7084-dvd-catalyst-3-issue-3.html#post57912

has some info.

The default video gallery DOES NOT display the movie titles....all you will see is a thumbnail.

There IS an app in the market by Jeff Hamilton called "Video Player"....this WILL display the movie title and the size of the movie. There is also another app called "Cinema" this will show all folders on your SD card such as pictures, music, video etc. Unfortunately it will not display all the other media...unless it's a video. but that app does display the movie title and format type.

My personal opinion, if you want to scroll through a list that displays what videos are on your SD card; go with "Video Player"...BTW....it's free!

Give me a minute and I'll post a couple screenshots.
Thanks, but I tried that other player and got the same result.

What size SD card do you have in your phone. Unless it's a 2 GB card, you should be able to upload many more movies on your card. I have 13 movies on mine and tons of music and pictures...no problems here. Not sure if you posted it, but what are you using to encode your movies?
I'm using the one it came with. Don't get me wrong - I CAN put more than two movies on the card, but if I do none of them will play. How large are your movies? Which program did you use to convert them? What were your settings? I'm going to try loading each of the videos to the Droid individually to see if one of the files is corrupt or something.

Thanks

JTAC

Reaction score
I use DVD Catalyst 3. The smallest size movie I have is 1.34 GB, the largest is 1.75 GB.

OP
audioman42

audioman42

Reaction score
A corrupt file could do that. Try playing the files you have on your computer. Quicktime as well as VLC should be able to play them. Saves transferring them all over.

JTAC has his own Movie-thread here

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-audio-video/2168-what-movies-your-droid.html
lol well apparently Napoleon Dynamite was the culprit. It played fine in QuickTime, but not on the Droid. I now have four movies loaded (Dark Knight, Gran Torino, Iron Man, & Shrek) and all three play perfectly. I'm gonna try ripping Napoleon again after Transformers is done.

Thanks

RLJSlick

Reaction score
Wow those are huge movies, they don't need to be that huge guys. My movie avg about 450MB and they look awesome! 1.34 GB is massive for a screen that size!

JTAC

Reaction score
^Well, it's my own preference. While I have encoded movies at 400-500 MB, there are quite a few artifacts, even with the Droid screen. My settings I notice no artifacts and most of them are Blu-Ray rips.

JTAC

Reaction score
^Exactly my thoughts as well. But if it's too big, to the point where there is stuttering throughout the film...not worth it.

JTAC

Reaction score
Damn, and you don't have a Droid...but provide good help!