Motorola OEM chargers? What's the difference?

Pele

Reaction score
Here, we have the Motorola SPN5334A Charger:
Motorola

And here we have the Motorola SPN5356A Charger:
Travel Charger (Micro USB) - SPN5356A - Motorola USA

Both claim to charge the battery in 3-5 hours.
So what's the difference between them? I can't spot any difference.

Then we have the Motorola SPN5358A Rapid Charger:
P853 Travel Charger Fast Rate (Micro USB) - SPN5358A - Motorola USA
It's a fast rate unit that says it should charge the battery in 2-3 hours.

How does it compare to the one that's supplied with the Droid, the SPN5504A?

Does anyone have MilliAmp (mA) readings on any of these?

I know the 5504 is 850 mA. How about the others?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
With the exception of the 'fast charger' the difference in the other two is the size of the plug. Unless you REALLY need to charge the phone quickly just get the cheapest on you can from Amazon (they are REALLY cheap there, I got the Moto car charger for $4 plus $2 shipping). Also many older Moto chargers will work with an adapter, just make sure the ma is at least 500 (I use a Razr charger with and adapter and it works great, little slower than stock but has a longer cord).

droider4life

Reaction score
I use the chocolate 3 charger.. Both my old wall charger and my car charger and so far it works Great...

JohnAP2

Reaction score

droider4life

Reaction score
WAY TO GO JOHN :yr1: I will am saving ur notes in case mine ever breaks i will be making my own

OP
P

Pele

Reaction score
Does anyone have any of these OEM chargers? Can anyone post pics of the specifications?

TheOldFart

Reaction score
The SPN5334A charger is the one that ships with the Motorola bluetooth headsets. It is a 5.0 V, 550 mA charger. It works fine, but of course charges slower than the 850 mA charger. I have used mine to charge my Droid.

leftbrain99

Reaction score
Let me add that I ordered the cheap $4 charger on Amazon - it's the Moto OEM Charger (SPN5334A) from BargainCell. That part number is on the invoice as well, but I actually received an SPN5528A, rated at 850 mA, 5.0 V.

So, that was a nice surprise.

Last edited:

GuiltyBreak

Reaction score
I have a Verizon Branded Charger that was for a LG Dare. It fits the Droid..should i use it..dont want to ruin my battery if its not for it..

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Odds are it won't ruin the battery. The Droid will pull what it needs. If you read the other charger threads there's a possibility that it may make the capacitive screen act oddly.

needsnumbers

Reaction score
GPS charger knowledge

I have a Nuvi GPS and had temporarily lost the original car charger. The cable was really long, straight, stiff, but had a nice 90deg mini-usb connector. It's power was 1000ma. Anyways, I figured while I was searching I would use a spare 500ma USB charger that had a nice spiral cable. Needless to say, every time I put the cable in the GPS would go into a "connected to PC" screen, locking out any functionality. There was a trick to hack the GPS that allowed me to use it AND charge it, but it required there to be just enough juice to turn it on and get to the hidden debugging screen. Turns out there is a resistor on one of the data pins that tells the GPS what kind of charger is hooked up. That was it, take it apart, change the resistor, re-assemble and good to go. Now obviously it was only a 500ma charger so it didn't do well at charging WHILE the device was working but it was plenty for how I was using it. Moral of story, check the resistor if you want to speed up charge times with a high current power supply. Hopefully this is the case with the Droid as it would be an easy fix. I can do the research on this if it hasn't already be done. Will go search now :)

GuiltyBreak

Reaction score