Motorola Nexus 6 Total Mobile Data Failure Issues Crop Up

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nexus-6-product-photo-white.jpg

There are a number of users across multiple different carriers (including T-Mobile, Sprint and Verizon) who have reported a total mobile data failure on their Motorola Google Nexus 6 devices. The problem reported is that a small "!" shows up on top of their signal bar and they are not able to send or receive data after that. Supposedly, when the users reboot the device, the problem goes away for a few minutes but then comes right back.

The problem started cropping up about 5-6 days ago and has been reported even by a user in the UK. On top of this, the issue doesn't seem to be Android OS specific, since some of the users still had Android 5.0 while others had 5.1.This basically narrows the problem down to the device itself, since it has shown up on multiple different carriers.

There has been no official response from Motorola or Google just yet, and there doesn't appear to be any solution that works either. If we had to speculate, we suspect there may be some minor overheating issue in the LTE radio area of the device. That might explain why rebooting the device gives you a few minutes of use. We will keep you updated as more details are revealed.

For more discussion on the Google/Motorola Nexus 6, here's our dedicated section: Nexus 6 Android Forum at DroidForums.net

Source: AndroidPolice

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yikes! Here's hoping there's a software solution soon. Wouldn't want to be in Moto/Google's shoes if it can't be helped via software. You're talking about replacing a LOT of devices, depending on how widespread this becomes.

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Luckily, I haven't seen this issue. Hope I don't. Still running 5.0.1 with Verizon, purchased from Motorola.

Last edited:

Kboss375

Reaction score
I have this issue with WiFi. I've had it for a while too. Only way to fix it is with a reboot. Mobile works fine tho. Verizon but purchased From GP.

boidsonly

Reaction score
Yep, I suffer from the dreaded ! on both my WiFi and T-Mo signal indicators. Can't send or receive photos as attachments to sms/mms. Can't make calls where I previously could. Supremely disappointed in my N6 on 5.1. I can't speak to before 5.1 as I upgraded OTA out of the box. Tried all the workarounds on xda, reddit-no help.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I've had the issue numerous times. Just about an hour ago too. I turn on Airplane mode and then turn it off and that resolves it. Didn't have the issue before 5.1 though. I haven't had it disrupt phone calls though, just data usage. I hate to say it, but I've been looking at the Galaxy S6 lately. I have an S4 from my work and it is nice at times to have a smaller screen but I also love the bigger screen. I also hate Samsung these days and what they do to their phones. No denying their hardware is amazing though. I'm so finicky with my phones. No phone is ever perfect and theres always something I want from another OEM.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
After seeing the S6, I am eyeing the Note 5. I have been sadly disappointed with the Nexus 6. It has never felt like I feel like it should, course a lot of those problems could be from 5.* in general.

I have had issues with WIFI dropping, and signal issues off and on for awhile now. Performance has been okay for the most part, lagging here and there, even un-encrypted. I just feel this phone, at $700 could have been better.

I enjoyed the experience on my Nexus 5 more and paid way less. We'll see what happens later this year.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I've been paying attention more to my signals and been seeing the ! more and more. I seem to only notice it though when I'm on wifi. Not when I'm on my carrier service. I'm with Sydman too. I'm kinda thinking about that Note 5. My issue is TouchWiz. Man its annoying as hell. But I'm also to a point where I don't really flash ROMs anymore. Root is used primarily for Helium backup of maybe 2 apps and an ad blocker. Thats really it. I'm not sure I'd even care anymore if I had TouchWiz. Its been a while since I used it.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I'm sorry to hear about issues.. other than smart lock not always working properly I'm very satisfied with my Nexus 6. as much I love Note series I'm not going to any non rooted phone.. need a custom ROM.. no stock runs better no matter what anyone tells me...

Tapped by NexusSix

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
This is also similar to what happened to my coworker.. She swapped Sims and had 2 total failures... The devices were cooked.. And this has been happening to her 3rd replacement... She tried fdr's and it helped for a bit.. But came back..