Motorola Droid Phone As A Modem?

CHRISOF03

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Doing a lot of research on the Droid today for some final conclusive decision making and one of the things I came across is the ability to use a phone as a modem. While I saw info pertaining to this several places, it was all very vague.

So just straight to the point, can the Motorola Droid be used as a modem for wireless internet connection on a computer? And if so, is the speed the same (3G)?

joshua117

Reaction score
yes and yes. i use wifi teather (rooted) but there is also pdanet in the market, i think its a free app too.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Speed is better IMHO on the Wifi tether than with using PDANet.

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why? it's still just using 3G signal, right? I mean if there was an actual wifi available, the the laptop could just connect to that.

joshua117

Reaction score
well the wifi tether is still using 3g (just wireless) however if i remember right download speeds were always a little slower on pdanet than other programs. this may have changed, haven't used pdanet since my moto q days.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Why? it's still just using 3G signal, right? I mean if there was an actual wifi available, the the laptop could just connect to that.

I was referring to Wifi Tether from the Drois as opposed to USB Tether.

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score

astevens54

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I recently installed PDAnet and it works great. I expected slow load times, but was surprised at how good it was. I plan on buying the full version. It works great with my netbook.

sbclose678

Reaction score
OK...I'm slightly tech savvy but I can't get the PDAnet to work with my very old computer! At this point in time, I cannot access the internet on my laptop and was hoping to be able to download the whole thing from my phone. My computer isn't so old that it isn't capable of this. However, my net card is fried. I had wireless for a time but now the computer won't talk to the router. lol Help? Anyone?

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
OK...I'm slightly tech savvy but I can't get the PDAnet to work with my very old computer! At this point in time, I cannot access the internet on my laptop and was hoping to be able to download the whole thing from my phone. My computer isn't so old that it isn't capable of this. However, my net card is fried. I had wireless for a time but now the computer won't talk to the router. lol Help? Anyone?

You can download the computer exe from the website with your droid and just use a usb cable to transfer it to your computer.

sbclose678

Reaction score
Me again

I downloaded it on my Droid X but don't know how to get it to load on my computer. Someone told me to shut down my computer, connect the phone to the computer using my USB cable and then turn the computer on. Yes? No?

BlackHoleSlam

Reaction score
i heard that using wifi tether too much will alert verizon and they will realize you aren't paying their subscription and explode the world

portermac

Reaction score
I don't know,pdanet will not work on my older mac. It requires 10.5 and up.Probably the same for windows.
Also,pdanet works really good but not as well as wireless tether.