Motorola Droid Geocaching App?

st3V3

Reaction score
I searched to app store, I am trying to find a good application that has a similar display like Google Maps to find Lon/Lat. From what I have seen I can't use Google Maps to find a location with Lon/Lat. Any help would be awesome!

humbleopus

Reaction score
I really like c:geo as well. It lets you load caches from the geocaching website easily.

gszeman

Reaction score
For caching, try c:geo -it's supposed to be the best.
+1 on c:geo...it's simple and effective. No downloading gpx or loc files. Very nice app...not sure if it does what you are looking for though, as far as showing the map with coords on it.

brianes99

Reaction score
yes. C:GEO

ahh...here we can finally refer to C:Geo, the best geocaching app out there.

If you have a premium acct through geocaching.com, than I also recommend cachemate, geobeagle and geohunter. Both allow for gpx, loc and pocket quaries.

Geobeagle is nice, It loads MUCH faster than cachemate, has a little better interface.

Geohunter is based on geobeagle and adds a few more features, the nicest of which, imo, is the ability to use the google street nav to go between cache locations rather than just using the compass rose.

C:Geo, although it violates the TOS of geocaching.com it works without pocket quaries, and you don't need a premium acct. It, basically will search for caches near you, show them all on the map, or select each one individually. It is also the only app i've seen where you can post your finds directly, rather than through field notes which you later have to log into geocaching.com and move the notes to actual posts for each cache.

As far as navigation goes, Geobeagle seams a little more accurate with the compass, all three get distance equally as accurate.

Pos

Reaction score
not able to log on geocaching

I have c:ego and can't log my finds from my droid....what am I doing wrong?

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, about 2 weeks after I posted that c:geo is supposed to be the best geocaching program out there for the Android, I started geocaching. I have a premium account at geocaching.com because I thought it was the nice thing to do and could also try geobeagle. What a horrible mistake. Geobeagle is terrible, I posted about c:geo on the geocaching.com forums and within a couple of hours I got a stern warning that next mention of c:geo would result in a suspension. So, when people on the geocaching.com site inquire about the droid, I just send them a PM and tell them about c:geo. Since the middle of June, I've found 20 of 23 caches only using my Droid and c:geo - so I'm a firm believer in the program and my wife gets mad because if we're anywhere like in a restaurant or something, I'll turn on c:geo and see where the closest caches are. You can do turn by turn directions to get to the cache, there's a built in compass, but hands down, when you're close to a cache, you need to use the radar. It's by far the most effective way to get right to ground zero....and it's always right within 4 or 5 feet. Sometimes I believe the issue is the person who hid the cache doesn't always have the exact coordinates.

To answer your question Pos - are you sure you're logged into your geocaching.com account from your Droid when you go to log your find?

Pos

Reaction score
Yep, I'm logged in...gonna try turing phone off and then try again....how do I get to the radar?? I can only get the compas up and not the turn by turn...just got the droid today and am having a tough time geting used to it and how to use it.....

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yep, I'm logged in...gonna try turing phone off and then try again....how do I get to the radar?? I can only get the compas up and not the turn by turn...just got the droid today and am having a tough time geting used to it and how to use it.....
once in c:geo hit Menu and the options are all in there. Once you see a cache you want to look for, hit menu again and it will give you the options to display compass, map, radar, turn by turn, etc. Just play around with the program and I think you'll love it.