Moto explains why they locked the bootloader

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So that's it. You buy the X and you can't do anything with it?

What's all the excitement about then, and I wonder if the same thing will happen with the Droid 2?

In a way it's the way I think the phones should be. I really got tired of putting in one hybrid after another when I had the Blackberry Storm. It's one of the reasons I don't use custom ROMs

I think as a stand alone phone the DX will make it's mark. I'm anxious to hear the first reports come out. I've already seen a few but haven't yet heard from the masses.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
hmmm...what a crappy response imo. That still doesn't answer why you can't just build an unlocked device that's also for consumers. You don't have to root you know motorola. you better hope this Motoblur endeavor is worth it...I do admit it has improved but not enough imo.

Edit: This DroidPro thing better be freaking awesome if it's locked :\

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
It is nice to finally hear some valid information from Motorola themselves, I might not like this but it does clear up alot of things

Thanks Titans for the great link

mflynn

Reaction score
Its a hollow response to people's complaint. We already understood their desire to lock it down. What they failed to grasp is that some consumers (non developers) would like to load custom roms.

I think moto is missing out not only a sector of users, but generating excitement and energy for their phones. Making it easier to root/load custom roms would generate energy and desire for the phones. I can see putting up some road blocks to guard against some consumers who would be better served with a stock phone, nonetheless let us consumers make the choice.

Apple does this (decides what's good for us) and that's why I went to google. I love what the DX brings to the table, however, I am rethinking the purchase because of the encrypted bootloader

OP
titans

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Meh... It will still be sweet / sweeter once it DOES get hacked... not changing my mind on this one...

Keep in mind that we may not be able to load custom roms for a very long time if never, and P3droid, the guy who rooted the Droid, stated that he doesn't know if root will EVER come to the Droid X. I think that's absurd but he sure does know a lot more than me in regards to rooting phones, so that's something to keep in mind. Don't buy this phone thinking "Yes it will get root, and yes I'll be able to load custom roms".

bamfsig45

Reaction score
I do believe its a bad move from Moto. But I am still getting the DX because Im actually tired of loading custom roms and all that haha, Ive loaded every one ever posted I think. I have 2 gigs of nandroids on my PC from the Droid.

techguru

Reaction score
HTC should take advantage of this.

HTC has always been more open to the hacking community. Their Windows Mobile devices were easily hacked and they turned a blind eye (in fact, I suspect many of the "leaked" roms of upcoming releases were leaked with the full knowledge and consent of HTC executives. They were often found unencrypted on HTC anonymous FTP sites....).

Alan

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Title misleading.

There was no explanation given.

Just a PC vague statement which contained nothing.

Mojo

Reaction score
One this blog is outdated most of the post are from February and March. And two Motorola didn't really explain why they lock it down.

DrSarcasmo

Reaction score
Apparently ALL new Moto Droids from now on will be locked. This is a quote from Lori's second post:

"Also, I've seen statements that indicate people believe that the Milestone is the only secured Android handset or that all Motorola Android handsets in the US are not secured. Neither of these is correct. Motorola has announced nine different Android handsets under twelve different names (MOTODEV > Products). I'm trying to confirm this, but I believe the Droid is the only one of these nine handsets to boot unsigned images. Now, I don't expect this news to win over a bunch of new fans, but I did want to make more correct information available."

So, if you want to use custom ROMS, you can:
A: Hope someone cracks the new Droids
B: Purchase phones from companies who don't lock their phones
C: Purchase an original Droid and hold on to it for dear life

So bloody sad...It's even sadder that I will go ahead and get the damn Droid X anyway, as I need a smartphone now.

But I will finish this up with an idea. A way to fight back. To regain a little dignity after Motorola kicked sand in our collective faces. It's only a germ of an idea, and if you hackers and crackers and new riders of the smartphone frontier dig it then pass it on and empower yourselves. If not, it was a fun exercise concocting it.

I"m putting forth a new term for general use in the phone hack community.

MOTO verb (derogatory) To lock down a device so it's code can't be modified
usage: I was gonna get the HTC Wafflestomper but they MOTOED the bootloader, so I;m gonna pass on getting this phone.

See, it's a simple idea, but if enough people start to use it in the community, well, Motorola might think twice about continuing this practice if their name becomes synonymous with digital facism. I'm aware that Apple currently holds this crown, but if enough folks are unhappy with Motorola, well, this is one way to fight back. To let your voice be heard.

Feel free to modify this concept to your heart's content.