Moto Droid Supposedly Getting Froyo on 7/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

brando56894

Reaction score
Just saw this over on Droid Life:

We just received word from one of our most reliable sources that the official Android 2.2 update will be hitting the Motorola Droid starting July 13th. I know, I know, here we go again right? After the pain we all experienced with 2.1, it’s hard to even mention a rumored Froyo update date, but this one feels legitimate enough to share.
Let me just toss out some thoughts as to why this could easily happen…

1. [*]We’ve already seen July mentioned in a couple of Verizon systems.
    [*]The Droid X arrives 2 days later on the 15th. What better way to keep your millions of Droid 1 customers happy than by dropping a major OS update on them a few days before a new device takes over the Droid throne.
    [*]July 13th is a Tuesday, and if you remember the 2.1 update, Verizon tends to like Tuesdays.
    [*]We saw the release of an extremely polished Droid Froyo build (FRF84B) this week which should mean we’re closer than ever.​
Thoughts? Fingers and toes crossed?
Source

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Rumor: Motorola Droid Getting FroYo OTA on July 13th

30216j6.jpg

The folks over at Droid-Life are at it again! A "reliable" source has told Droid-Life that the Motorola Droid will start receiving the official 2.2 FroYo OTA on Tuesday, July 13th. According to Motorola, the 2.2 updated is expected by the end of July, so this may not be so far-fetched. Also, FRF84b has recently been leaked, and from the general consensus of the development community, this latest FroYo leak seems to be rather stable and ready for primetime.

Now we all know, considering the 2.1 debacle, we should take this rumor with a grain of salt. But rumors are meant to be, if not anything else, fun! Considering the Droid X will be debuting on July 15th, wouldn't it be nice for Motorola to show its customer base some loyalty by updating the Droid 1 before the X is released?

What do you guys think?

Thanks to brando56894 for the tip!
Source: Droid-Life

Last edited:

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I DEFINITELY think it should come out on the 13th..... After all, that is my birthday! I wants me some official Froyo lovin' for my b-day!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's the way I originally heard it however our latest source who just can't miss is telling us in August now.

Seeing how Verizon released 5.0 for the Blackberry Storm just a week or so from the release of the Storm 2 it wouldn't surprise me.

Really if you don't want to wait nothing stopping you from getting it right now.

Droidarola

Reaction score
I could see it happening, the nexus already got their updates right? So figured the moto droid is always a couple days after the nexus with updates no?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, how quickly things change. Now I'm hearing as early as the 13th but probably the 17th for the Droid.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just saw this over on Droid Life:

We just received word from one of our most reliable sources that the official Android 2.2 update will be hitting the Motorola Droid starting July 13th. I know, I know, here we go again right? After the pain we all experienced with 2.1, it’s hard to even mention a rumored Froyo update date, but this one feels legitimate enough to share.
Let me just toss out some thoughts as to why this could easily happen…

1. We’ve already seen July mentioned in a couple of Verizon systems.
  2. The Droid X arrives 2 days later on the 15th. What better way to keep your millions of Droid 1 customers happy than by dropping a major OS update on them a few days before a new device takes over the Droid throne.
  3. July 13th is a Tuesday, and if you remember the 2.1 update, Verizon tends to like Tuesdays.
  4. We saw the release of an extremely polished Droid Froyo build (FRF84B) this week which should mean we’re closer than ever.
Thoughts? Fingers and toes crossed?
Source

so what's the mysterious #1 thought? :)

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
ok so when i quoted the OP, it was numbered 1,2,3,4, and all looked normal... but when i LOOK at the OP, it's 1-5 and 1 was blank:icon_eek:... hence my post in #9 - i swear i'm not crazy

Xpain

Reaction score
I DEFINITELY think it should come out on the 13th..... After all, that is my birthday! I wants me some official Froyo lovin' for my b-day!
lol... is it? Mine is the day before... lol

Beardface

Reaction score
13th, 17th yeah, all that really matters to me is that it looks like its happening 2 weeks from now, and that is awesome.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
One 2.2 is OTA'd this paves the way for us to see what parts of Gingerbread we can get onto our phones in the fall. Sounds like there is going to be a lull in official releases for a bit. It will be interesting to see what happens if the official word is you need 1gz to run 3.0 yet we can overclock beyond that. 2 weeks for 2.2 OTA? Not too shabby, seems like it came along fairly quickly.

Mojo

Reaction score
That's the way I originally heard it however our latest source who just can't miss is telling us in August now.

Seeing how Verizon released 5.0 for the Blackberry Storm just a week or so from the release of the Storm 2 it wouldn't surprise me.

Really if you don't want to wait nothing stopping you from getting it right now.

The Augest date, was for the Droid X to get 2.2 (late Augest) Late July for Droid. So the 13th to the 17th would be on par what was leaked by our Ninja a few weeks ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.