Moto Droid for $20???

mathren

Reaction score
This has probably been posted a million times. Sorry, I tried searching!

I was previously a long time G1 user - to be perfectly honest I miss the keyboard. Anyway...One night I was fed up with the performance and decided to buy the Moto Droid from Verizon for two reasons: A) Superior network to T-MO B) Superior phone. I was able the get the activation fee waived and purchased the "bundle" which includes a case+clip, the car charger, and a jabra wired headset. I got out of the door paying $395.00 with eligibility for a $100.00 rebate.

Much to my dismay, I strolled across Amazon tonight and found that the Moto Droid is being sold for $19.99 with a 2-year plan. To make matters worse, the exact components included in my "bundle" were priced from $4 to $6...essentially making the total for an equivalent purchase under $50 - quite a difference.

On to my question: Is there any advantage to purchasing the aforementioned equipment through Verizon? I can understand a 15-20$ discount through a third party...but 90%? How is this even possible? I'm contemplating returning everything and cancelling my plan as it will probably still end up being cost effective.

This is simply bad business on Verizon's part from my perspective...hopefully I'm missing something.

texasPI

Reaction score
Well, if you read the fine print at Amazon (don't recall what it says), you'll also be entering into an agreement with Amazon in addition to the one with VZW. I believe that you have to have the phone active for 6 months to satisfy the Amazon agreement. I wish I could take advantage of some of these deals from third party providers but I only do 1 year contracts and those are only available through VZW.

Here's the AMZN fine print:
Amazon.com Instant Discount Policy

When you purchase your device with service from Amazon.com, we automatically pass along an instant discount from the carrier to you. This discount has been provided to you based on your agreement to (a) activate a new, or extend an existing, line of service for this device with the carrier, and (b) maintain this service in good standing for a minimum of 181 consecutive days. If you do not activate or extend a line of service in connection with this device, or if your service is canceled/disconnected before 181 consecutive days, Amazon.com will charge you $250 per device, plus applicable taxes.

This policy does not apply to prepaid phones, phones sold without service and Sprint devices.

altjx

Reaction score
i was reading that a few days ago also. are those phones refurbished or something? $20, that's just crazy. for someone who don't mind sticking with one phone for awhile, that'd be a great deal for them

OP
M

mathren

Reaction score
i was reading that a few days ago also. are those phones refurbished or something? $20, that's just crazy. for someone who don't mind sticking with one phone for awhile, that'd be a great deal for them

They're not refurbished. It's the exact same product that you find at the Verizon store.

altjx

Reaction score

They're not refurbished. It's the exact same product that you find at the Verizon store.

Wow, that's so cheap for a brand new phone. I don't understand why though. And it's just that you have to have a contract with Amazon for 6 month? What's the bad part in that?

OP
M

mathren

Reaction score

Wow, that's so cheap for a brand new phone. I don't understand why though. And it's just that you have to have a contract with Amazon for 6 month? What's the bad part in that?

Consider the fine print in your worst case scenario:

If you cancelled at 5 months after buying a phone through Amazon...you'd basically be spending $70.00 more than you would if you cancelled at 5 months after purchasing a phone through Verizon. Hardly a deal breaker. In fact, it doesn't even come close.

FDFTW!!

Reaction score
I got 2 DROID's from LetsTalk.com for $39.98. The price was the main factor in my switching from AT&T to Verizon. Well that and the crappy reception.

geedowt

Reaction score
yep amazonwireless.com is awesome. i upgraded to the droid a few months back on a existing verizon family plan. paid something like 40-50 bucks. saved me from dropping 200 for literally the exact same thing. the only difference is RMA issues are handled initially thru AW.com however if you opt for the insurance in your contract i think you can go to your local carrier store.

darkespawn

Reaction score
my friend bought 2 droids this weekend from wirefly.com for $20 each, he said that he paid through Bing and they bing gave him a $100 gift certificate.

i thought i did good getting mine at best buy a ferw months ago for $100

nooter99

Reaction score
I've been with Verizon for several years. My wife's line is eligible for an upgrade, so I assume this deal would work in that case, right?

Josecq

Reaction score
I've been with Verizon for several years. My wife's line is eligible for an upgrade, so I assume this deal would work in that case, right?

Yes, search for Wirefly, (all legit) I even called verizon and they acknowledge dealing with third party vendor Wirefly. The phones are just the same new phones you would get at any verizon store. Wirefly makes profit from Verizon by getting existing customers to renew contract for 2 years (just read their FAQ) thats the catch. Also they have the best insurance plan for your precious Droid ( for the term of contract lenght) you will get up to 3 replacements no charge as you pay a one time fee, I think I paid about $49 for my plan (one time fee). It is a great deal, I did bunch o research before I went with them and took the chance and all seems good after 4 months. The only thing is if you cancel your contract with Verizon before the 2 year term, they (wirefly will bill you for the full price of the droid). Check it out.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My wife purchased a Droid from Amazon, it's an excellent deal. You get the same 30 day return policy that you get from Verizon.

If you want to save some money and are either renewing or a new Verizon customer, it's a deal worth looking into.

Vitticeps

Reaction score
So if I'm reading that fine print correctly you could buy the Droid for $20 even if you aren't signing a new contract and just pay the $250 fee to amazon for a total of $270 for a phone that's yours free and clear with no contract? That's better than you could do on ebay for a new phone.

If that's the case then this would make a great method of upgrading before you're due for an early upgrade or NE2.