More Memory?

baldybill

Reaction score
How do I free up more memory. I have SS 5.5 installed and about 60 apps, most of which are on the SD card and I have about 27 meg free and often get "running out of space" errors when I update a program or 2.

How do I free up more space?
Do I need to put the ROM on a partition? And how do I do that?
Is there anything I can go in and delete?

bryantjopplin

Reaction score
I have 139 apps including system apps. I can still install and download more. I would suggest finding similar apps with smaller footprints. I also use cache cleaner nightly to reduce the cache the apps store daily. Sure it takes a second longer to reload for a specific app but its worth it to me.
Oh and I still have 60 megs free on internal too.

googlelover

Reaction score
Why do people's apps use so much storage... I still have 47 MB's free and I got 153 apps W/ system apps, or 80 W/O them. What you should do is go to storage use and make sure one or two apps aren't eating all your free storage. FB can reach up to 50 MB's if you let it get outa control, and try n move all apps other than the ones you need at boot, such as overclocking apps or others like that, and widget apps, all the others don't really need to be in your internal storage.

treybarnes66

Reaction score
I agree with jcwilliams, I also use links2sd. It is free in the market. You can use Rom Manager to partition your sd card. Just make sure to make a backup of everything on it first.

jcwilliams

Reaction score
I agree with jcwilliams, I also use links2sd. It is free in the market. You can use Rom Manager to partition your sd card. Just make sure to make a backup of everything on it first.

I actually couldn't get rom manager to work for me I had to use a pc program to do mine but all I have to say is do some reading before trying bc I dove right in with the pc program and it took me a while to figure how to use it.

Good luck if you choose to try.

jcwilliams

Reaction score
how does this differ/ better than apps2sd?

When I get a minute after work I will link you or you can just google links2sd xda forums and it'll come up. Look over there and they explain it all. Basically it helped me with a faster start up and space bc with apps2sd you have to wait for sdcard to mount to use apps that are on there well with links2sd you don't have to wait bc its a diff partition that never mounts and unmounts. Same with when mounting sdcard to laptop to move music you can still use all apps that are linked to sd bc the main partition only gets unmounted not the one you make for apps...

Hope all makes sense...

OP
B

baldybill

Reaction score
Ok, that all makes sense.

When I install it, should I move the apps back to the phone via app2Sd before moving them via links2sd?

jcwilliams

Reaction score
Ok, that all makes sense.

When I install it, should I move the apps back to the phone via app2Sd before moving them via links2sd?

you can actually move and do what you need to in links2sd. but yes they have to be in internal memory before linking them to sdcard.

OP
B

baldybill

Reaction score
Ok, Got the SD card partitioned using the Mini Tool Partion thing. But the Droid is not recognizing it now. Any thoughts?

OP
B

baldybill

Reaction score
Correct. The droid is not recognizing the SD CARD. Any thoughts?

jcwilliams

Reaction score
Yep I prolly know what the problem is (if I'm correct its minor). I won't be home till like 1030 I will look into it for you bc I would butcher it if I tried to explain it now...