More Email Receive Issues

MarkC

Reaction score
I too have email receive issues that maybe someone can help me with.

Here's how the sequence of events unfold for my two email accounts:
1. I reboot the phone and all is good. I receive notifications every 5 minutes as I'm supposed to for new incoming messages.
2. About 2 hours later, the phone stops notifying me of incoming emails. The only way to know is if I unlock the phone to make a call, check the calendar, etc. Once I do that, it "wakes" the phone and it then notifies me that I have emails waiting.
3. About an hour or two after that, the phone stops uploading my emails and subsequently stops notifying me.
4. If I reboot the phone, it start all over again.

I contacted Motorola support a I received a short email asking me to send the phone back without a replacement in hand first. As you can image, that won't work. Any suggestions as to a fix I can do before I have to send it away? I'm still under the 1 year warranty. Thanks

RolandGammon

Reaction score
Strange emails dated 12/31/1969

Every day on my DROID I receive a number of emails that have no addressee and they are dated 7:00 PM, 12/31/1969. Sometimes there are as many as a dozen or more each day. Anyone else ever seen these?

OP
M

MarkC

Reaction score
Add that to the list...

Yes, I've recieved those stange emails too when I first got my phone, but they've seem to have subsided.

What srtikes me odd is that no one on this forum has responded to my posting with any solution. Before I even joined and posted, I was impressed with how quickly and concisely some of the responses were to other people's questions.

Is it that my issue is simply too bizzare to warrant a response? I'm bumming.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, I've recieved those stange emails too when I first got my phone, but they've seem to have subsided.

What srtikes me odd is that no one on this forum has responded to my posting with any solution. Before I even joined and posted, I was impressed with how quickly and concisely some of the responses were to other people's questions.

Is it that my issue is simply too bizzare to warrant a response? I'm bumming.

It's not because we don't like you.:)

Apparently you're getting your email through the email app and not gmail, is that correct? Is there a reason for that? I don't know how to help you with your issue with the email app but if you would forward your email to gmail and then sync gmail with your phone you wouldn't have these issues.

OP
M

MarkC

Reaction score
Thanks Bill/Hook!

First, thanks so much for responding. I really appreciate it.

I, of course, have the gmail account to make my calendar and email notifications work on the Droid, but I don't publish that email (like I need another email account to check!) As far as I can tell, gmail works flawlessly.

I have my personal email on AOL. Have had it since the 90's. It would be very difficult to change.

I have my work email that runs through our web hosting company, Corecomm.

So here are my questions:
a. Do I need to publish the gmail account to my friends and work folks to make the forwarding system work as you suggested?
b. If I do set up the forwarding into gmail, can I tell which emails are from AOL or my work account?
c. When I reply to incoming emails, will the recipiant see AOL/work email address or my gmail address?
d. When I send emails that are not responses, can I choose which email (AOL/work) to send it from?
e. Why doesn't Motorola/Droid just fix the problem?!

Thanks.

Mark

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
First, thanks so much for responding. I really appreciate it.

I, of course, have the gmail account to make my calendar and email notifications work on the Droid, but I don't publish that email (like I need another email account to check!) As far as I can tell, gmail works flawlessly.

I have my personal email on AOL. Have had it since the 90's. It would be very difficult to change.

I have my work email that runs through our web hosting company, Corecomm.

So here are my questions:
a. Do I need to publish the gmail account to my friends and work folks to make the forwarding system work as you suggested?
b. If I do set up the forwarding into gmail, can I tell which emails are from AOL or my work account?
c. When I reply to incoming emails, will the recipiant see AOL/work email address or my gmail address?
d. When I send emails that are not responses, can I choose which email (AOL/work) to send it from?
e. Why doesn't Motorola/Droid just fix the problem?!

Thanks.

Mark
a. No. You should be able to set it up in gmail on line to have those accounts forwarded to gmail. You do that in the gmail settings on line.
b. No
c. I'm not sure about this. Check in the gmail settings under the accounts and import tab. There is a section about corporations using gmail for business that may have an answer for you on that.
d. See C
e. It's got to do with gmail, not Motorola. I think you just need to configure your accounts correctly and you may be able to accomplish just about everything you want to do. I can't give you definitive answers because I do use gmail as my main account. Explore the gmail settings more. Check out the forwarding and accounts and imports tabs closer. There is help available in gmail for you to set this up.

I'm sorry I don't have anything more definitive for you. At least you have a starting point now. I don't think it will be that hard for you to set up, everything in gmail is pretty simple.

OP
M

MarkC

Reaction score
Thanks

I will experiment with your suggestions and reply next week with what I discover so others can benefit. Have a great weekend - and thanks again.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Make sure you check back at this thread a couple of more times. Somebody in your situation has dealt with these issues and may be able to give you more direct help then I did.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
B) you can have them labeled within gmail. I have my school account forwarded to my gmail and it has a turquoise label on it, so i know where it comes from.
C) I have only vaguely touched on this, i know when replying from within gmail on your computer you can choose which email addy you want to reply from. I do not see the area within the gmail app to do that.
D) Yes.

wfholcom

Reaction score
I have similar e-mail issues. My Comcast email does not automatically update even though I have I have it checking every 5 minutes. I don't have a problem with my g-mail. I don't think I should have to forward my Comcast email to gmail to get these messages in a timely fashion.

When I manually load new messages, they come on in, usually with no notification on the status bar.

Also, even though I have Incoming settings to delete messages from the server, I often receive duplicate messages.

I don't know if this is a Verizon, Motorola or Google Android problem, but it is a problem.

porcelain

Reaction score
I've been having this same issue, except it's with my two Gmail accounts. Sometimes I get notifications right away when an email comes through, but most of the time I don't. I won't get the emails unless I refresh the inboxes myself.

I thought it might perhaps be an app I downloaded interfering with it. I read a comment in the app market that someone claimed Advanced Task Killer was messing up his Gmail. I uninstalled ATK, rebooted, and then my email was fine. But a few hours later, I was back to having the same issues again. It's getting pretty frustrating.

Any suggestions?

akrab

Reaction score
I was having issues getting my mediacom mail but I did what someone suggested and set it up to forward to my gmail and now it comes through with no problems and I get my 2 gmail account mail with no issues either.