More Details Shared on our Future Wireless Internet: LTE-Advanced

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
4gltei0412_table1.gif

One of our awesome forum members & Rescue Squad folks, Grenefroggie, sent us this cool "white-paper-style" article on the future our our wireless networks. Since 2011 we have been sharing tidbits about the next generation of LTE, which is called Advanced LTE. Ironically, Advanced LTE actually fits the moniker of 4G beter than current technology does. Technically, the ITU defines 4G as needing to be 100 Mbps or better, and that is exactly where LTE Advanced starts and goes up from there.

In the article that we have linked below, a great number if fascinating historical and technical factors for the technology are explored. Furthermore, if the article itself is not technical enough for you, then you can find several links to actual "white paper" write-ups scattered throughout. It's definitely worth a few minutes or more of your time, especially if you are curious to see what the next step in wireless internet will bring.

Thanks for the tip, Grenefroggie! And, thanks for helping it get to me, UltraDroid & CR6!

Source: DailyWireless.org

sonicxtacy02

Reaction score
Is there some overarching reasoning as to why wireless data transmission speeds need to be that high? I'm all about tech advances and such, but I cannot think of a scenario in which a consumer would need anywhere near that promised speed of LTE-A. How about optimizing the current spectrum so that data rates decrease?

combatmedic870

Reaction score
Is there some overarching reasoning as to why wireless data transmission speeds need to be that high? I'm all about tech advances and such, but I cannot think of a scenario in which a consumer would need anywhere near that promised speed of LTE-A. How about optimizing the current spectrum so that data rates decrease?

Government and Military purposes. They get gov't kick backs for putting this stuff up. Verizon promises lte/4g by blah blah blah and the gov't says thank you.

Same reason highway over passes are still being built to a specific height. :)

BTW Im not a conspiracy theorist or anything. Just how it is. Home land security wants the infrastructure in place.

NeoPhoenixTE

Reaction score
Is there some overarching reasoning as to why wireless data transmission speeds need to be that high? I'm all about tech advances and such, but I cannot think of a scenario in which a consumer would need anywhere near that promised speed of LTE-A.
Putting aside the obvious "why the hell not?" reasoning for a moment..

We may not see the reason for it today, but, if history is any indication, our data demands are going to continue to increase, and we're going to need spectrum to meet that demand.

It's simply a matter of which will come out first: the speeds, or the apps that need that kind of speed.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Point to ponder.

How much speed will it take to send holographic images or arrange your nanocats correctly?

aliens don't use razr's, they use obsidian.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score

I'm all for this.

aliens don't use razr's, they use obsidian.

Asgard

Reaction score
I don't have the source right now, but I read that the original 4G standard was about that speed (1Gb/s up 100Mb/s down IIRC) But then the telecommunications companies said "woah, calm down, we can´t keep upt with those speeds" so the standard was lowered.

And yeah, it's because of size of content, it's not the same to download a full DVD quality movie, an Full HD blu-ray quality or a 4K/8K movie.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
So a quick survey of that chart says this should yield a 2-3x increase in speeds.

In my experience, bandwidth is no longer the issue for faster browsing. It's processor/rendering and, increasingly, how fast the website is actually sending the data (many sites understandably seem to have bargain servers that transmit only around 3mbs).

I think the interesting upside is ditching cable all together (tv and broadband) and streaming our shows. It would require a rather massive bandwidth to stream an HD blu-ray. A non-issue for most HDTV broadcast in 720p though.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score

Have your tried to stream multiple 1080p content to different locations simultaneously?

Here is a scenario. You come home with wife and kids where your only source of cable/internet/entertainment is your cellular device. Soon as you enter home, device recognizes location, turns on hot spot and all your htpcs/smart tvs connect to it. Now all tv content is 1080p or higher and all people want to watch different things at same time. You will need 60mbps or higher connection.

I do that now with my verizon unlimited data and can only stream single hd content or multiple sd contents.

And I'm not going to subscribe to cable/internet in a vacation house that we visit on weekends during summer time when our cellular devices/plans can do the job.

52brandon

Reaction score
the point is because file sizes are due to increase over the years. So it makes perfect sense to me. Screen resolution is beyond what we need. Processor capabilities are as well. Battery capabilities are lagging behind more than anything right now. But that data speed will help with all consumer electronics, most likely high-end vidfeogames first, then streaming nbext-gen movies (after blu-ray)

Phreaker47

Reaction score
Indeed, if we want to talk about eliminating the need for physical media like bluray, then we need this kind of speed. And if 4k HDTV becomes standard, even this might not really be enough.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Indeed, if we want to talk about eliminating the need for physical media like bluray, then we need this kind of speed. And if 4k HDTV becomes standard, even this might not really be enough.

Now that you mention it, I wonder why I have a PS3 for the blu-ray player when I haven't rented a dvd in years (either Netflix or usually on-demand)...gotta find a redbox nearby

Phreaker47

Reaction score
Now that you mention it, I wonder why I have a PS3 for the blu-ray player when I haven't rented a dvd in years (either Netflix or usually on-demand)...gotta find a redbox nearby

People are choosing convenience over quality. I went to online-only with Netflix when they announced they were increasing the prices a while back. And Netflix has had pretty decent HD quality and DD 5.1 on some stuff for a while now.

I tell myself to use Redbox more often too.. (especially with this blu-ray burner I have... wink)