Monoprice charger?

anjoga

Reaction score
With recommendations I found in this forum, I picked up the following charger and cable from monoprice:

High-Speed WALL Power to USB Female Converter (1000ma) - Black
HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5pin Male 28/24AWG Cable w/ Ferrite Core - (Gold Plated) - 6ft
HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

I thought I remember reading here that it charges faster than the 850mA OEM Motorola charger that comes with the Droid, however this doesn't seem to ring true. My OEM Motorola charger seems to charge my Droid from 15% to 100% in just under 2.5 hours, yet the 1000mA monoprice charger takes about 3 hours. Is something wrong here?

EDIT: for clarification, I never turn my Droid off. I charge it while the phone is still powered on the vast majority of the time.

Detonation

Reaction score
Technically it should go faster because the charger is providing more power, but I don't have one of the 1000mA chargers so I can't speak from experience. If anything, I would think it would at least charge the seem speed though, not slower. If the Droid is limited to what it draws (I believe its rated at 800mA) then any extra current provided compared to stock charger would just be shunted to ground.

On a side not, does the monoprice charger cause the touch screen to geek out while charging?

Last edited:

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
non of my monoprice items have an ill effect on my droid. it runs like a champ and touchscreen works fine.

-=Jason=-

OP
anjoga

anjoga

Reaction score
Same here, with the exception of not charging as fast as I expected it to.

OP
anjoga

anjoga

Reaction score
I use a monoprice charger and cable nightly with no problems.

I have no problems either, I was just expecting it to charge the Droid a little bit faster than the stock charger.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
My OEM Motorola charger seems to charge my Droid from 15% to 100% in just under 2.5 hours, yet the 1000mA monoprice charger takes about 3 hours. Is something wrong here?
The Droid probably can't use the extra 150mA. Tech specs page doesn't really say anything useful. I wouldn't be surprised if the difference in charge time is just margin of error. Are you just going by the battery meter?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, it's not very precise. I don't know of a good alternative though unless a battery app out there can provide you with more detailed info on the battery state. I don't think there's an issue but don't take my word for it.

Detonation

Reaction score
Well, it's not very precise. I don't know of a good alternative though unless a battery app out there can provide you with more detailed info on the battery state. I don't think there's an issue but don't take my word for it.

Check out the app Battery Left. It calibrates to your battery and gives you a more accurate percentage and estimate of time left before it dies.

OP
anjoga

anjoga

Reaction score

I use the phone status menu in settings to see a more precise percentage of battery remaining than the little icon at the top of the screen.

MuzzleBuster

Reaction score
With recommendations I found in this forum, I picked up the following charger and cable from monoprice:

High-Speed WALL Power to USB Female Converter (1000ma) - Black

USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5pin Male 28/24AWG Cable w/ Ferrite Core - (Gold Plated) - 6ft

I thought I remember reading here that it charges faster than the 850mA OEM Motorola charger that comes with the Droid, however this doesn't seem to ring true. My OEM Motorola charger seems to charge my Droid from 15% to 100% in just under 2.5 hours, yet the 1000mA monoprice charger takes about 3 hours. Is something wrong here?

EDIT: for clarification, I never turn my Droid off. I charge it while the phone is still powered on the vast majority of the time.

Ordered from Monoprice on Wednesday afternoon, received order today (Saturday). That's pretty good from California to Ohio with USPS Priority.

Ordered more cables and chargers than I need, but for the price - why not?

So far everything works good and appears well made.
Going to order some longer cables when they're back in stock.