Monitor Temp of Overclocked Droid.

OP
O

olletsocmit

Reaction score
** Since i started this thread i have made some changes... I installed the Taz Kernel so i can read the CPU temps using Temp Monitor. Still at 800mhz. I was using my gps today for about 45 min. and i was getting cpu temps around 47 C. That is a little high, n is starting to worry me. it was never this high before. the phone was hot to the touch today which it was not b4 installing Tax. either taz kernal does something n the cpu runs hotter or temp Monitor is not reading the right temps, cut is was lower till Taz. als

Another note. TempMonitor seems to randomly linger aroued 23C for like 10 min a few times a day. its supposed to refesh at 10 sec. but afer i wait like, say 8 min and its still the same 23C i open temp monitor n it jumps up like 6 degres, which means the app is basically freezing. its all new still needs work i guess.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
** Since i started this thread i have made some changes... I installed the Taz Kernel so i can read the CPU temps using Temp Monitor. Still at 800mhz. I was using my gps today for about 45 min. and i was getting cpu temps around 47 C. That is a little high, n is starting to worry me. it was never this high before. the phone was hot to the touch today which it was not b4 installing Tax. either taz kernal does something n the cpu runs hotter or temp Monitor is not reading the right temps, cut is was lower till Taz. als

Another note. TempMonitor seems to randomly linger aroued 23C for like 10 min a few times a day. its supposed to refesh at 10 sec. but afer i wait like, say 8 min and its still the same 23C i open temp monitor n it jumps up like 6 degres, which means the app is basically freezing. its all new still needs work i guess.

No, your request to open the program causes the CPU to hit overdrive with the overclock, it takes NO time for the CPU to show heat when you've doubled the original maximum load.

OP
O

olletsocmit

Reaction score

No, your request to open the program causes the CPU to hit overdrive with the overclock, it takes NO time for the CPU to show heat when you've doubled the original maximum load.

Thank you for clearing that up for me. So in theory if its running in the taskbar and I drag down the taskbar n click on the temp monitor box and load the program... it will spike the temp higher. But should it come down to the real temp after a few sec or will it remain too high till its closed.

When I had constant temps around 46 - 48 today I was not opening the app twice though. That was the real temp. I even reset the phone n let it cool down. Turned it on again and did nothing but open the gps again and within around 10 min. It was back up there again. What should I make sure my cpu temp stays under. My thought is... for example: if the max temp it should really be at was say 50C and its at 48 a lot of the time that's to close in my mind n will kill the processor life. I typed this post from my phone and its currently at 41 at this seccond. That's just from typing.

Thanks for the explination to the guy above me. I'm sure upcoming updates and new kernals will make thisng run smoother then they are now in the near future. I'm happy with the phone though. Love it

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
If you are truly concerned about processor life I recommend not overclocking very much until it has been well tested for a few months at least. No one really knows what the damage will be or where the threshold is.

OP
O

olletsocmit

Reaction score
If you are truly concerned about processor life I recommend not overclocking very much until it has been well tested for a few months at least. No one really knows what the damage will be or where the threshold is.

That is a very good point. I mean if worst comes to worst and the processor gets fried in a year... you could back up your sd card on the comp, delete everything on the card, and take it to Verizon and say it wont turn on. Right? They can't tell you messed with it if there is not processor. It would fall under device defect and you would get a new one. As i say that.... i am thinking now that Verizon has thought about this and is not gonna replace all the ppl that screw up there phone and say it just stopped working.

LrdElderon

Reaction score
Yes the sensor that taz manage to find and get working (which btw I also found in the tech reference manual pdf on TIs site 3500 page monster though) is a bandgap temp sensor and is actually on the cpu. I don't think it was made to be read externally via a program i think it was made so that the chip could monitor itself and adjust it's voltage and some other things dynamically... *shrugs*.

It's just nice to see real temps. Now the problem is what is our range? we have people spouting multiple ranges Taz said -40 to 105c but none of it can be confirmed for our chip model.

If someone can find a range from an actual source from say.. texas intruments please post it and the source. Most of the temps that TI does list on the page are for the 35XX omaps. our chip the 3430 seems to have mysteriously lost all temp operating range specs from the entire site that I can find :icon_evil: