Mode??? whatsit?

Zero Cool

Reaction score
Under settings/Call settings at the very bottom there is something called Voice Privacy - Enable Enhanced Voice Privacy Mode??? But no one seems to know what this is about? there is nothing in the manual about it and no one at my verizon store knows anything about it. anyone have the 411???

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
dunno,, but mine is enabled and no one has mentioned me sounding like t-pain or anything... i have no idea what it is if it doesn't change your voice in some way.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
nobody seems to really know but the only info I have ever read is that it's some sort of encyption...beyond that I haven't a clue : )

LordKastle

Reaction score
Turn it on so it's harder to monitor you. However, if that was the case then one wonders whether turning that on actually triggers surveillance on you.

Yes I am being sarcastic...but you never know.

Dan_Droid

Reaction score
I found some information about what sounds like it (or something similar) on the Sprint forums:

HTC Touch with official 6.1: Loss of voice privacy - SprintUsers.com

I'm not sure if this is the exact same thing or not on Verizon, but it would make sense since Verizon also has a CDMA network. If what they are talking about in the above Sprint thread is the same thing, then it's just an additional level of encryption for your calls on top of the already-encrypted CDMA network.

Voice privacy is a second level encryption for your voice call on a CDMA based network. The base CDMA standard is allready encrypted and the only time you might want "voice privacy" is if you were roaming. CDMA breakes up your call into tiny segments and transmits it on whatever frequency is availible at that time so in order for someone to listen to you not only do they have to be able to jump frequencies instantly, and recieve the person on the other line on a compleatly diffrent frequency, they also have to seperate your call from another call that is on the same frequency happening at the same time, and then they have to crack the unique code given to every call. To Sprints knowledge this has only been done 1 time, it was done by Sprint to find out if it could be done, and it cost over $1,000,000 to do it (yes that is the correct amount of 0's). Of course if your a three letter government organization, i would imagin they could do it fairly easily.

LordKastle

Reaction score
So we might as well keep voice security on. Is it defaulted or not? Mine has it on but I honestly don't remember if I accidentally hit it on or if it was defaulted.