Mini HDMI

Philba

Reaction score
I decided to play with the HDMI out so went looking for a cable or connector. Most big box retailers are pretty clueless about mini HDMI. I found a 10 ft cable at Frys (western USA electronics chain) for $15 and bought it as I was in a hurry. It works pretty well and the video is of reasonably good quality on a 720p display.

What I really wanted was a mini HDMI to Female HDMI adaptor so I don't have to travel with another cable. I checked mono price and they have this one for $2.16:
36531.jpg
36532.jpg

For only $1.80 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Mini-HDMI (Type C) Male to HDMI (Type A) Female Adapter | Mini-HDMI (Type C) <--> HDMI (Type A)

They also have mini-HDMI to HDMI cables for about $5.

I have no affiliation with Monoprice except being a happy customer.

product.asp

Last edited:

strong20safety

Reaction score
The HDMI is great, but I am looking to it for further uses than anyone has mentioned.

Seeing as I am a huge gamer, I want to be able to record my Xbox gameplay to the Droid. Someone will probably tell me, " Well, just hold the phone up to the TV and record the screen." I'm not trying to produce poor quality, shakey recordings.

I understand that the mini HDMI that Verizon sells for $25 is an "out" cable meaning you can only show videos from your phone to the TV, not visa versa. Does anyone make an in/out mini HDMI cable for the Droid X?

I don't want to have to buy the video capture card for my computer and mess with all that. My solution seems pretty simple, I just simply don't know if it's possible.

I just want to be playing my game, press "record" on the Droid as if I'm just taking a regular video, and it save my gameplay. Can anyone give me information and point me in the right direction?

tmoney2007

Reaction score
HDMI cables are not directional. The phone only has an HDMI output. Someone may design a program to make it work, but it isn't a cable problem.

And it is a *micro* HDMI cable that you looking for. If you buy a mini hdmi it won't work.

strong20safety

Reaction score
The cables on monoprice.com are awesome. so cheap! So what I am looking for is the micro HDMI (type D) to HDMI (type A)?

Also, are all DVI cables the same specs? I figure the best way to solve my problem is to use a DVI cable from my TV to my Laptop, then the micro HDMI from my laptop to my Droid

goracer

Reaction score
I found one on Amazon. Unfortunately I can't find the cradle. Verizon has a supposed half price online special of $50 for both. I didn't see how it was half price if they have the cradle at their store for $25 (for the regular droid). Cable markups are insane and pure profit, Monster is a good example (markup is well over 1000%).

You want the shortest connector possible, so those adapters are not a good idea on the tv end. When the cable droops down, if the connector is too long, then it puts pressure on the connection and bends it downward with the weight of the cable. Really thick inulated cables are heavy and are too hard to route.

So you want as short/stubby end connector as possible and a light and flexible cable.