Milestone gets OTA 2.1 ***UPDATED***

W

WERA689

European Milestone gets OTA 2.1 update, Droid update MIA -- Engadget
European Milestone gets OTA 2.1 update, Droid update MIA

By Tim Stevens posted Mar 29th 2010 7:57AM

Motorola Milestone owners, your moment is now. The Android 2.1 update you've been waiting for is now available en masse. Users outside of Hong Kong (which already got served) have received notice that an over-the-air update is available to unlock the nine home-screens, Google Earth, and other goodness that comes along with the latest flavor of Google's mobile OS. When can US-bound Verizon subscribers hope to get their point release of goodness? That, sadly, is still TBD, but we're guessing it'll be any day now.

[Thanks, Miao]

But right now, it is not sure that the file originally linked by GSMARENA leads to the final 2.1 for europe. The linked file leads to a 2.1 RTEU Version with SHOLES build .31, which is known to be the "polska" Version, meaning a version for eastern europe like the czech republic and poland. The german, france and GB version is supposed to have the SHOLES build .34
Lets wait and see, if this is the version they finally hand out from Motorola.

***UPDATE***

android2-1-milestone-fb.png

;)

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wondering

I can't imaginge better news for Milestone users today! Let us know what you think :)

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Damn that's pretty cool. I must be out of the loop. 9 screens?? Doesn't the N1 only have 5? What am I gonna do with all those screens lol

Still haven't noticed anything highly useful out of this update hence my lack of desperation but it sounds as if there will be some nice graphical enhancements to play around with. What I think would be cool is if they were able to push an over the air update that overclocked our phones to the safest tested speed. Then more cpu intensive games an apps could be justified.

darklipslide

Reaction score
So far I haven't found any evidence of the Canadian Milestone receiving the update...yet

No luck connecting to the update server, it says it is down

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Droid left out again

I had alot of confidence in my Droid as far as updates are concerned when 2.0.1 lauched in such a timely fashion.

Nowadays, I am beginning to think Verizon is giving it the same treatment they gave the BlackBerry Storm. To me, it just seems like VZW doesn't give 2 craps about issuing updates.

I just thank my lucky stars that the Droid is rootable for customization purposes, and isn't crippled by a crappy OS by default. Still, VZW PROMISED Flash 10.1 by the end of Q1 2010; and with only a couple of days left to release 2.1 itself, I can't see them meeting that target date. I can see class action lawsuits being brought against VZW and Motorola because of this, it has happened from less.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thank goodness for rooting because VZW can not manage updates to save their lives. VZW has great service, but is what we've seen the future for Android on VZW?

I sure hope not. IMO, VZW has a few days to release 2.1 before it looks REALLY bad on them.

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
so, Tigger, did you receive the OTA 2.1?

tehpriest

Reaction score
As far as I can discover so far no-one this side of the pond has actually got it. I will update if and when the situation changes. Or maybe you know someone?

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Ehh. Now that i have been rooted for over 2 months now I don't see why all the angry talk about the 2.1 update. I know, I know... not everyone wants to hack their phone, so yea this will be decently nice for them when its released. Still tho, my phone is running like a mad beast and can do SO MUCH MORE than it used to. I guess I am just saying why get so excited and enraged about the 2.1 update when in reality it is kind of like the bottom of the line ROM in the root world...

tehpriest

Reaction score
Erm. You cannot run custom roms on Milestone. Perhaps that is why those who own one are waiting for this update.

Now back to the topic maybe.

Big Cam

Reaction score
Well at least we know its in process. Verizon is failing, but this is good news.

Fletchi18

Reaction score
Why does every 2.1 post end up just being a place where rooted folk go and flaunt what they have done?
There is a reason I am not rooted. And if I wanted to read about rooting, I'd view the folders dedicated to that.