Might have to return Bionic and get an iPhone

BionicDad

Reaction score
I've had the bionic for about 10 days now, and want to love it, but there are some real issues. I have the extended battery, so ironically battery life isn't one of them. The camera is just plain frustrating... about 1 out of 5 pictures I take are very good - clear detail, nicely balanced exposure - but the rest are awful (blurry, lack of detail). The shutter lag is the worst problem, though... 5-7 seconds to lock focus and shoot is unacceptable, and while Moto might release a firmware update to improve that, what if they don't?

I'm also worried about the build quality of the phone - the case back creaks and moves, and the volume rocker switch "floats" - if you shake the phone, you can hear it rattle. My 1st gen Droid was a tank, and I never had a case for it (once dropped it while on a call smack onto pavement - it didn't crack the glass, didn't even hang up the call). The Bionic doesn't have that same durable feel to it.

I love the performance, love 4G when it's working, and think the screen is great - best I've ever had in broad daylight. The call quality is outstanding, and the speakerphone is very good. The browser is great - what a luxury to be on my phone and able to load the full version of every site I want to go to. And will also make use of the 4G hotspot feature when I go on vacation to Disney for a week - where they would otherwise charge me $10/day for internet access.

Wait, hold on. I think I just talked myself into keeping the Bionic. The iPhone isn't gonna be 4G, is it?

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
I'll disagree with the build quality as a whole.. while I do have some slight creaking with the back cover the device itself it built very solid IMO.
Pictures you need to understand the camera a bit better.. there are several threads where the mechinisim is explained in detail. Once you get it you'll be able to take great shots fairly quickly.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Typically, new phones have little quirks and bugs directly after the release of the phone. The iPhone is no different. I wouldn't worry too much about the build quality, because for the most part, Motorola is considered to have the best build quality on the market. I, myself have owned 4 various Motorola Droid devices, and I can seemingly beat the mess out of all of them without any damage showing up. As far as 4G goes, no, the iPhone 4 does not have it. Rumors (if I am not mistaken) say that the next iPhone device released will be the iPhone 4S, which has some beefed up specs from the original iPhone, but no 4G. However, there are rumors of an iPhone 5 being released not too long after the 4S, which is "supposedly" said to have 4G. Take the iPhone rumors with a grain of salt though because I don't really follow the iPhone closely, I just see articles online and in engadget.

ModestMuse

Reaction score
Hope you don't like having widgets and 4G...

After using Android for so long, I could never deal with an iOS device. They are so far behind the times with their software. After 2 years, are just now implementing notifications. I use my widgets constantly and would be hugely disappointed if the entire experience boiled down to just an app drawer, which is what iOS is.

big58ben

Reaction score
Whoa dude - you had me worried. A recent rumor had the an upgraded Verizon Iphone 4 - 4g coming out at the same time the ATT Iphone 5 is released. This seems to make some sense - similar to the original Iphone then the Iphone 3g.

Anyway back to the "whoa dude". I have a couple of the Iphone 4's on my family plan. For a user that simply wants something that does does what it does well and uncomplicated - great device. My wife and son lover theirs. Me - I like tinkering and the Bionic is really revving up to be a great tinkers device that is very capabale of working like the Iphone.

By the way, I enjoy the Apples - not a real "fanboy" of any single system. These are just my takes.

doomsdalicious

Reaction score
Beatdown

You should get a beatdown for posting this on droidforums... Head on over to appleinsider i'm sure they would love to have you! ;)

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Now I shook it, it has a rattle around the camera housing. Thanks for making me more neurotic.

I'll still keep it. If the rattle stops ill know something is wrong.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

TatDroid

Reaction score
Now I shook it, it has a rattle around the camera housing. Thanks for making me more neurotic.

I'll still keep it. If the rattle stops ill know something is wrong.

You sure the rattle isn't just the volume rocker moving? Hold your thumb on it and shake again.

powerwagon

Reaction score
Yep, I was gonna say...the rattle is either the volume rocker or power button rattling. My Evo did it too...no biggie. I came from the iPhone 4...good, simple phone but I love Widgets and screen size too much to go back.

Abadus

Reaction score
The battery case probably is itching. Silly engineers didn't use dissimilar materials. If the phone is Polypropylene and the cover is Polypropylene when they rub together they will itch.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
My phone is very solid. BTW, my buddies iphone bricked on him from some update they got recently. He couldnt do a battery pull and had to bring it in. Meh, no thanks.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
If my 10 day old $299 phone rattled when shaken, I'd get a replacement.

Certainly not trading it in for an iPhone though. But that's just me. :D