Microsoft/Yahoo Deal Approved

Silver Member
Reaction score
U.S., EU approve Microsoft-Yahoo deal - U.S. business- msnbc.com

BRUSSELS - Microsoft Corp. and Yahoo Inc. have received clearance from regulators in Washington and Europe to proceed with a search partnership intended to challenge industry giant Google Inc.

The companies announced Thursday that the partnership has been approved without restrictions by the Justice Department and the European Commission. Under the 10-year agreement, Microsoft's Bing search engine will process all search requests and steer search-related ads on Yahoo.

The companies said they will begin implementing the deal in the coming days and expect to complete the process by early 2012.

I hope they don't dump the Yahoo! brand altogether. I'd hit Yahoo before I'd hit Bing.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
640k said:
I hope they don't dump the Yahoo! brand altogether. I'd hit Yahoo before I'd hit Bing.

Not big on either yahoo or bing

OP

Silver Member
Reaction score
i'm hearing that alot, but that doesn't really matter. what matters is two giants merging together as direct competition to Google. if MS got their act straight and mimicked Google's cloud integration with their mobile products, there might be some concern for action.

rod

Reaction score
i personally cant stand yahoo. what used to be a nice search engine has become bogged down with news and adverts and social-network tie-ins and such. when i need to search, i use google and google only.

(well technically i use firefox's google search window up in the upper right corner of my screen)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just a tiny article but it could indeed mean big things later. Or not.

Microsoft thought they had an answer for Google with Bing. Bing is even an app in Blackberry that is pushed by Verizon. To the best of my knowledge Bing hasn't made too much of an impact.

OP

Silver Member
Reaction score
MS also said that MSN would be the new search engine back in 1998...