Microsoft Trash-Talking Android With Suggestive Tweet

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
ms-android-malware-horror-tweet.png

In many circles, a little bit of trash-talking with your opponents is harmless and humorous. In fact, one could say it's a "right of passage" in many ways; however, sometimes the context of this "ribbing" means everything and becomes purely mean-spirited. We have such a case-in-point today. Microsoft just last night sent a message out via Twitter calling on their "followers" to come up with Android malware horror stories, and asked them to include the hashtag #DroidRage to add extra impact.

They obviously want to dredge up more of the lame Android is full of malware tripe in order to make it look bad and market themselves as more secure. This is highly ironic considering Microsoft products on PCs are notorious for being malware magnets. What do you guys think? Is Microsoft just engaging in friendly competition, or are they pushing things too far?

If you think what Microsoft is doing is bogus, feel free to share your Microsoft horror stories, or perhaps your Android happy stories over on their Twitter thread. Maybe we can get enough of a backlash going they will realize their devious plan backfired. ;)

Source: MS Twitter

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Microsoft is the last company to be poking at OSs with malware issues. Malware on Android and even iOS is because of the stupidity of the user, not the OS. Plus most malware require root which kind of kills the claim too except for those of us that root. If you're downloading APKs from untrusted sites, its all on you, not the device.

At the same time, Microsoft is going after a fairly large userbase of stupid people with this tweet so its kind of a clever move on their part. They should have included iOS as there are many malwares available for their OS vulnerabilities.

Asgard

Reaction score
Have you read the responses?
It seems like this is not going as they expected, and I liked one of the responses from android central (I apologize if I'm not supposed to mention other forums) saying that if the guy is having a problem with an android device they can help.
The android community attacking in a pacific and friendly manner.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
I added my $.02 LOL BTW it's @windowsphone if you want to add your opinion.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Here's a funny tweet from Android Central

@androidcentralSorry. We're back. Had to reboot the PC. #tooeasy #DroidRage

The tweets I'm reading are hysterical. This ad campaign is really going south quickly. The next hash tag for the windows phone is going to be #epicfail

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums

Last edited:

swc2001

Reaction score
While it may be "mean spirited" It doesnt bother me. What will be the real test is Market share.... That is true bragging rights... And right now Android has above 60% Really you just cant argue with that. LOL

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Funny, cause I've never had any of that stuff on my phone for that last say o three to four years now?

Neither have any of my coworkers, or any of my clients who have Android...

Pretty sure I see more malware on their Windows OS than anything else! ;)

acousticshade

Reaction score
A 911 dispatcher who is a friend of mine refuses to buy a windows phone. He had one of the first ones when they came out. His phone rebooted when he was trying to get through to dispatch to get info on a 911 emergency. Can you say ticked off.

This might be a good excuse for me to finally subscribe to Twitter.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
This might be a good excuse for me to finally subscribe to Twitter.

I subscribe to Twitter because I'm a news junkie. I don't tweet too often but I love following all the news outlets and getting breaking news before anyone else.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
... the only reason Windows Phones don't get malware is because nobody owns Windows Phones..