Metamorph won't apply framework-res to ESE53? (A noob guide to adb pull/push theming)

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
awesome...suscribing for future use. When I applied Ultimate v8 the reboot after application started happening to me...so I 'nandroided' back to 7.8

When I am ready to take the plunge again I will be using this guide. Thanks!

Please note the posts about trying to put the round battery icon on UD. This method will require a bit of extra work that I've been unable to pinpoint when used on Ultimate Droid. It seems that the system partition in at least the version I tried to help with. Vertically, there's not enough extra room for adb to push the new file in, because it has to copy it there before replacing the original.

As stated in the op, no guarantees. Just want you to be prepared! There's a chance you could get rid of system files you don't need side from the ringtone i suggested before, but i can't confirm that that'll work...

loop4zil

Reaction score
awesome...suscribing for future use. When I applied Ultimate v8 the reboot after application started happening to me...so I 'nandroided' back to 7.8

When I am ready to take the plunge again I will be using this guide. Thanks!

Please note the posts about trying to put the round battery icon on UD. This method will require a bit of extra work that I've been unable to pinpoint when used on Ultimate Droid. It seems that the system partition in at least the version I tried to help with. Vertically, there's not enough extra room for adb to push the new file in, because it has to copy it there before replacing the original.

As stated in the op, no guarantees. Just want you to be prepared! There's a chance you could get rid of system files you don't need side from the ringtone i suggested before, but i can't confirm that that'll work...

So would getting rid of things like extra launchers, and other system apps like media dock, car dock visual voicemail etc. potentially make the room needed in the partition? Just trying to learn...

I am Still on 7.8...probably will not move for awhile as I am very content with the current setup.

M

Matth3w

I just swap out whatever is already in the update.zip to be honest. So if I want to modify the battery icon for example, I just replace those png files in the zip.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
So would getting rid of things like extra launchers, and other system apps like media dock, car dock visual voicemail etc. potentially make the room needed in the partition? Just trying to learn...

I am Still on 7.8...probably will not move for awhile as I am very content with the current setup.

Potentially, yes. That was all suggested to me by someone who's been at this longer than i have.

dboss007

Reaction score
Just wanted to say THANK YOU! for this thread. I've been able to modify just about my entire notifications bar with the icons I wanted because of your walk-through.

Thanks again!

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Just wanted to say THANK YOU! for this thread. I've been able to modify just about my entire notifications bar with the icons I wanted because of your walk-through.

Thanks again!

My pleasure! It was bugging me too. I figured it out with a little help and thought I'd share the wealth.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

bitter

Reaction score
I get to the last part of this, and I get the error:

"Cannot stat 'framework-res.apk' no such file or directory

Help?

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks

Help?

The part where you adb push it back to the phone? What EXACTLY are you typing?

You left command prompt open while copying/pasting your files, correct?

bitter

Reaction score

Help?
The part where you adb push it back to the phone? What EXACTLY are you typing?

You left command prompt open while copying/pasting your files, correct?

I honestly think I may have missed a step somewhere else. Maybe step 9 which is supposed to be the easier one?

I copy and pasted:

adb push framework-res.apk /system/framework

Do you have gtalk by any chance?

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I do, but my car is stalled and I'm waiting on a tow truck. Pm me your gtalk and I'll get ahold of you as soon as I get this all sorted out.

bitter

Reaction score
I do, but my car is stalled and I'm waiting on a tow truck. Pm me your gtalk and I'll get ahold of you as soon as I get this all sorted out.

Done!

Thanks man!

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
could this also apply to ese81? i'm experiencing similar problems applying the framework-res on rooted ese81 (adb root, not pete's)

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
could this also apply to ese81? i'm experiencing similar problems applying the framework-res on rooted ese81 (adb root, not pete's)

Theoretically, yes. The only real issue I've seen is with custom roms whose system partitions are too full with all their features. In those cases, you can't push the framework-res.app back because it copies the whole thing over before replacing the existing one, so worst case scenario is that you take the time to copy and paste the icons you want to only get an error message in command prompt.

I assume that there's enough room in the stock rom though.

Create a nandroid backup and give it a try. If you want to make sure it will work first, do the entire process without pasting in the icons you'd like to use. Basically, adb pull the framework-res, then push it back without changing anything to make sure there's room.

I worked a 12hr day today, but I'm available for at least a couple hours tonight if you'd like some help, but if you can push it back without making changes, you'll be able to edit the framework-res file that will be in your sdk tools folder on the PC, then replace the adb pull section of the first set of commands with everything from the adb push down (push it to the phone, then use command to reboot).

If you go for it and don't need help, let me know what you find out please!