Memory Usage - Card Vs. Internal ?

micp1480

Reaction score
I would love to know the following information. Coming from a Blackberry, every program that I would download, it would chip away at the internal memory, causing my blackberry to bring up apps. at a much slower rate. The media card that was installed in it, was primarily for ringtones and pictures. Now that I have the Droid, I want to know if my applications are being stored on the internal memory or on the memory card, number one. Number two, what is max. number of memory that can be added to the Droid. I belive I got 16 megs in there now. Thank you.

MICP1480

Last edited:

JCo352

Reaction score
Apps are stored on the internal memory, some apps store on both the sdcard and internal memory. And the Droid can go upto 32g sdcard

stanrc

Reaction score
By default the droid will hold all apps on internal memory. If you are rooted and using certain ROMs you can move those apps to the SD card but aside from increased space I don't know that there are any other gains.

The droid comes with a 16 GB card, I think the max might be 32 but I'm not even sure if those are out yet.

OP
M

micp1480

Reaction score
Well, this is something to consider for a developer to produce, a program that allows the applications to re-locate onto the memory card, allowing the internal memory to freed up to run faster. I maybe wrong, but you keep throwing apps. onto your Droid, I don't see how they can't affect the performance, when it's sucking up memory. Someone with some knowledge on this want to jump in here and give their two cents on this. This really concerns me.

MICP1480

stanrc

Reaction score
There are different segments of memory. The android OS handles memory much differently (better) than blackberry.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, this is something to consider for a developer to produce, a program that allows the applications to re-locate onto the memory card, allowing the internal memory to freed up to run faster. I maybe wrong, but you keep throwing apps. onto your Droid, I don't see how they can't affect the performance, when it's sucking up memory. Someone with some knowledge on this want to jump in here and give their two cents on this. This really concerns me.
First off, speed isn't affected by the apps stored in phone memory. Android != BB. Even on my BB 8310 I had no problems with low amounts of free device memory as long as the BB didn't actually run out of memory.

Second, Google is working on allowing the storage of apps on the SD card.

Third, apps can already store their space-hogging resources on the SD card. Only the app itself, which should be small, needs to be in phone memory.

All this is discussed quite a bit in many many former threads on the same topic.

slinky

Reaction score
As a an Ex BB user i can agree with stanrc. Driod is much better than BB on memory.

I completely disagree. The BB is a much more stable device. They use memory a little differently and the Droid has more memory on board than I had on my BB.

You will need to watch how many apps you install. I think there is enough for a healthy amount but you hvae to watch how some things grow, e.g. email attachments that may still be a part of the email and data stored in the internal memory. Otherwise it's pretty smooth.

dan5jr

Reaction score
There actually is currently a way to store your apps on your memory card. Do a search for Apps2SD. I think you currently need to be rooted to be able to access it, I'm not sure if or when it will be released for non-rooted users. If you are rooted, you need to make a partition on your memory card which will be dedicated to apps storage. Some newer roms (i.e. UltimateDroid) come bundled with this feature already installed, although you still need to make a partition.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
One thing to consider about storing apps on the sd card. The card that comes with the Droid is a Speed Class 2, while a Speed Class 6 would be better.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
One thing to consider about storing apps on the sd card. The card that comes with the Droid is a Speed Class 2, while a Speed Class 6 would be better.

I've noticed no difference between running apps that were installed internally on my Droid to them now being installed and running from the stock 16meg sdcard (Class 2).

(CyanogenMod Rom + App2SD configured for 512meg).