Memory SD Card

sjleader

Reaction score
1) Running out of APs space. So, I wonder, is it technically possible for APPS to be stored on the SD card?

2) Can you stick a larger card in the slot, will the phone use it?

Thanks

CanDroid

Reaction score
Yes you can use a bigger as card. But you would have root your phone to be able to specify a new location to store apps. Don't worry soon the eris will be rooted! And it will be some much fun!

OP
S

sjleader

Reaction score
Thanks...
I am a noob... Please explain what you mean by "rooted" and what will change to allow this to happen?

OP
S

sjleader

Reaction score
SO this is a "hack" which voids warranty etc.
I am wondering if it will legitimately be possible to expand apps to store on the SD card...

scajjr

Reaction score
I am wondering if it will legitimately be possible to expand apps to store on the SD card...

Some apps already do. I installed the Dolphin web browser and it uses the SD card.

Sam

mhotovec

Reaction score

You cannot specify that an app be stored on your SD card unless that app is programmed with that option. Most are not.

sixhammers

Reaction score
Thought I would add a note for those who are concerned about legitimacy...
One of the great things about open source is the the limits are either A the hardware or B. your imagination... no one is going to sue you for deciding to store and app on flash instead of ROM. Try that with Apple. Or Microsoft..

3nd0Man

Reaction score
Great. So how do you do it?
I don't think there's a way to root the Eris yet.

sixhammers said:
One of the great things about open source is the the limits are either A the hardware or B. your imagination... no one is going to sue you for deciding to store and app on flash instead of ROM. Try that with Apple. Or Microsoft..
You may not get sued, but I could theoretically envision Verizon choosing not to either support your phone any more if they discovered your rooted it, or not honoring a warranty in the event of a not-at-fault hardware failure. So obtaining root on your phone is definitely what I'd consider a "do at your own risk" hack.