Mediaserver locks up the phone

paramax55

Reaction score
I am running Simply Stunning roms. since last Wednesday, I have been having trouble with /system/bin/mediaserver. Whenever I do anything that makes the phone re-access the SD card - like reboot, mount/unmount to the PC, etc... - mediaserver will run at 90% CPU and effectively stop the phone from working until it finishes. I assume it is re-indexing the SD card and I keep mine pretty full, almost totally full. I have no choice but to wait for it to finish because, if I pull the battery, it will start all over again.

Anybody have any answers to this? Maybe there's a way to compile a mediaserver proggie that has some delays or something so it doesn't eat up my CPU while it's running?

OP
P

paramax55

Reaction score
Nope, there's definitely an "r" at the end. It's mediaserver. On SS4.5, it is supposedly better to do an install over 4.4 and not wipe. I am going to try that just in case rstapps is installing a old file somewhere that is not compatible with the OS. My rstapps has been carrying over for quite a few rom revisions.

Nah... this thing still locks up.

brochaos

Reaction score
i had this happen once on ss44 i think. this might mess up your install, but you can try "kill -9 mediaserver" in terminal...

OP
P

paramax55

Reaction score
I had thought about that, but I didn't know I could call it "mediaserver." I thought I had to call it by the pid listed in ps. The trick is going to be to get to a terminal window before it starts so I can give it a shot. The phone literally becomes unusable and will even auto-reboot some times. Worst case, if it messes up the phone to kill the app, I can just reboot.

I think I might try un-installing any applications that might rely on mediaserver and re-install one at a time to see if I can clear it up that way.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry for dropping the "R" in the search. I added the "R" and still received the same returns.

If you have time try flashing a different rom and see if the issue. disappears. A wipe of cache and data may help.
Mike

OP
P

paramax55

Reaction score
Sure, wiping the cach and data helps - you are on a clean install and have no apps to access mediaserver - LOL. I am pretty sure it is an app that is doing it. I will try playing with it later today or tomorrow and see if I can get to the bottom of it.