Me & My Droid

john212

Reaction score
Hello:

I just got a motorola droid on 5/12/2010. I had to repl. my env-2 because it was shutting off all the time.

What I Like about the Droid:
-I like having internet access on my phone - it's great.
-It has a lot of featuresdancedroid that I hope I can learn.
- I like having a a month to figure out if I want to keep this phone.:unsure:

Minor Annoyances: :cus:

-I don't like the default desktop which demands too much attention for making a quick phone call. It would be lovely if the phone keypad came up first thing so I could use the phone (That's what it is).

-I don't like rooting around for phone numbers through lists - there is no speed dial! Why cant the search window just be there and ready for me to input a couple of letters to get me to the number I need quickly. Can I customize the phone to work this way?

-I don't like the slide out keyboard as well as the open up kind like was on my old env-2 phone.

-I don't like that there is no shift lock key on slide out keyboard.

-I don't know If I am going to like phone e-mail. The possibility of spam on my phone scares me!

-I don't like that I haven't been able to figure out how to listen to podcasts or windows media files that play on some of the internet sites. Is there a way to do this?

- I don't like the inside SM card location. So far, I haven't tried to transfer any of the andio or picture files from my 8G card that was in my old env-2. It scares me to have to open the back of the droid and take the battery out to put in the other card. I'm afraid I will lose something!

Does any body know of a better phone that will do all the droid does. I might get it instead!:wink:

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
1 and 2) There are a few good solutions for speed dialing, including the favorites, and shortcuts on the desktop. I dont know of a single smartphone that displays the phone without pressing a key or menu item....

3) Why did you get it if you dont like the keyboard?

4) See 3

5) It's a smart phone..... If you dont want e-mail to the phone, then dont set it up.

6) Depending on the podcast or feed, there's probably an app for that. You'll need to be more specific.

7) Use the provided cable and connect the phone to a PC. I've never needed to remove the SD card from my phone, and I'm going 4 months strong.

It sounds like a smart phone may not be for you.... Some of the above limitations arent really limitations, and just you needing to learn how to use the phone. Others are limitations of Android.

You'll get it, good luck. And welcome to the forum.

li2327

Reaction score
As far as the caps lock just hit the shift key twice for caps lock. Also you can add frequently used numbers to the Favorites so you can get to them easier. It sounds like the Droid is not the right phone for you.

peterjariel

Reaction score
It sounds like u haven't used the phone much cause all the the things that u don't like u can change well except the slide out keyboard (ull get use to it) and the sd card thing like some one else said all u have to do is connect ur phone to the comp. Thru the usb and ull get all ur sd files, oh by the way double click on the shift to lock it. Play with the phone alil more you will find out so many stuff about this phone. There's so many great things that this phone can do. I still learn something new every day.

OP
J

john212

Reaction score
I think I'm going to keep it

Sorry my post was so negative. I think the phone is a keeper. I've just got to learn to use it.:r_c:

I bought the phone from Verizion (on the phone), and I had never held one. My Env-2 was shutting off every five minutes, and I had to get something quick. I almost got the Incredible, but it was not shipping for a couple of weeks so I just got the droid. I try NEVER to go into a cell phone store. There's usually a very long wait, and I find the telephone customer support with Verizion to be Stellar!:icon_ banana:

I have decided to keep the phone; and I am finding out that most of the things that bugged me can be changed. My main frustration was that somehow the google search got slid over to the left desktop where it could not be seen and I was having to manually flick through the contacts to dial numbers. And I was a little irritated that a manual didn't come with such an upscale, complicated, full-featured phone.:icon_eek:

I have registered a G-mail account, but so far I haven't given anyone the address. Any suggestions for keeping my new address from spammers?

I'd like to stream audio, or download audio files from the rush limbaugh web site which uses real player or Windows Media player. I'd like to be able to stream the audio when the show is on from noon to 3 pm. If you know of any apps for that please let me know. Thanks for the comments.

Last edited:

Mule65

Reaction score
Definitely use your full 30 days to decide if it works for you. I was frustrated with the phone and battery and ended up returning on day 30. For me, all the fun stuff worked great but some of the important stuff was less reliable than my dumb Env2.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I didnt mean to come off as a jerk, glad you like the phone.

As far as keeping your e-mail address away from spammers, just dont give it out to anyone. Google has a pretty killer spam filter, so you really should be OK on that front.

There are several free radio apps (iHeartRadio is by Clear Channel), but I prefer the paid app RadioTime, as it has a much greater selection of local stations wherever I go. It allows you to search by location, station ID, frequency, or currently playing show. Take it for your 24 hour trial spin, and see how you like it.

Kmart95

Reaction score
I'd like to stream audio, or download audio files from the rush limbaugh web site which uses real player or Windows Media player. I'd like to be able to stream the audio when the show is on from noon to 3 pm. If you know of any apps for that please let me know. Thanks for the comments.

Umm not sure if theres an app for that on the market (i looked and couldnt find one). Not trying to be a smart a** but do you really think that something that uses WINDOWS media player is gonna work on an ANDROID phone? Sorry just had to put that out there.

OP
J

john212

Reaction score
Well, I'm just thinking of things I'd like to do with my phone and can try out before the month is up. I still haven't done any music yet (I've misplaced the usb cable and should find it soon). I actually haven't heard any sounds from it yet. I'm hoping that it will actually be an electronic device that ends up serving me (not like some I have had to spend so much time of that I think the thing actually owned me). LOL

I've got the whole audio bible on my env-2, 8Gig card and can listen to it on that phone (it only takes up 2G of the card), but it doesn't let me put the books of the Bible in order (I've tried everything on the env-2, but it just will not. I think it is the verizion music software). I'm hoping the droid will do better.

The rush limbaugh site has downloadable files for an i-pod, so I was thinking at least there should be a droid app to be able to listen to that. The marketing of this phone is such that it can do much more than just a phone -- and I love logging on to www.oneyearbible.com every morning and reading my daily Old and New Testament Scriptures along with the Psalm and Proverb of the day. It works great, and I can do it anywhere with this phone. I saw a link on that site last week that said listen to an audio version. I clicked on it but nothing happens.

I bought a motorola car charger, and I'm thinking about buying another battery and desk charger to keep a spare battery (it does seem to use a lot of juice).

The GPS blows me away! It's amazing, even if it does use the most power!

Last edited:

Mtig

Reaction score
I think the best thing you can do is search your questions and read on here as much as you can the first month I had my droid I was on here at least 2 hours a night. This is a great resource if you choose to use. You may also want to check out AppBrain - the best Android apps and games on the Android market for your questions on different apps. I have used a lot a lot enjoy your new phone it takes work but its worth it

zerosouls

Soulless Droid
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gplus.to
I didnt mean to come off as a jerk, glad you like the phone.

As far as keeping your e-mail address away from spammers, just dont give it out to anyone. Google has a pretty killer spam filter, so you really should be OK on that front.

There are several free radio apps (iHeartRadio is by Clear Channel), but I prefer the paid app RadioTime, as it has a much greater selection of local stations wherever I go. It allows you to search by location, station ID, frequency, or currently playing show. Take it for your 24 hour trial spin, and see how you like it.

I have had my gmail account for a number of years, but it has not been my main email address. I never gave it to anyone and alas, I never have received a single email in my gmail inbox, until I started buying apps and also the Droid activiation notification :p

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have had my gmail account for a number of years, but it has not been my main email address. I never gave it to anyone and alas, I never have received a single email in my gmail inbox, until I started buying apps and also the Droid activiation notification :p

Exactly my point.

zerosouls

Soulless Droid
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gplus.to

Exactly my point.

Meant to capture and quote his as well, but the point is doubled pointed now dancedroid

OP
J

john212

Reaction score
I've had my Droid for 2 years and I finally have learned most everything necessary. I just upgraded to a HTC Rezound and am very excited about the performance boost!

Sent from my HTC RESOUNDED. using DroidForums