Mapping DPAD cursor key

OP
norifuku

norifuku

Reaction score
bump

Anybody know if we can remap buttons so when we long hold, it will alt automatically? For example when you long hole "q" it will be a "1".
Yes no maybe so?

You can't do it with just remapping some. Because current android key configuration doesn't have "long-press" function. If you want to do so, you have to write some code. Android is open source.

OP
norifuku

norifuku

Reaction score
Firstly thank you for this GREAT work!

I cannot get it to work. I copied the files to my SD card, then used Super Manager (have root), went to sys folders, renamed originals to .OLD, and then copied yours to the folders, and still it doesn't work. Please can you advise?

I also moved (cut) the .OLD files to the SD card entirely and still it doesn't work.

Thank you.

How about permissions? These files needed to be 644.
Perhaps, the system couldn't read .bin file, then fallback to read other default configuration file such as qwery.kcm.bin (So some key won't work properly).

Kaos2flo

Reaction score
bump

Anybody know if we can remap buttons so when we long hold, it will alt automatically? For example when you long hole "q" it will be a "1".
Yes no maybe so?

You can't do it with just remapping some. Because current android key configuration doesn't have "long-press" function. If you want to do so, you have to write some code. Android is open source.

Dang... I was hoping it was as easy as remapping.

Anyone like to write some codes to long press and get alt symbols? Lol
It'll be really useful for everyone. Cause seriously, the majority of people isn't going to use the letters with the accents. I also like blackberry when you long press you get caps. Even that is more useful then accented vowels and such.

jhumbo

Reaction score
Don't need a cursed, cause its TOUCH SCREEN!!!

We know it's a touch screen. But DPAD right and left are very convenient when you click into a field and you are off by one or two characters. Also very convenient to do a ALT-DPAD to select some text.

Thanks much to the OP for posting this for us. I have been loving this simple mod.

hanybanoub

Reaction score
Firstly thank you for this GREAT work!

I cannot get it to work. I copied the files to my SD card, then used Super Manager (have root), went to sys folders, renamed originals to .OLD, and then copied yours to the folders, and still it doesn't work. Please can you advise?

I also moved (cut) the .OLD files to the SD card entirely and still it doesn't work.

Thank you.

How about permissions? These files needed to be 644.
Perhaps, the system couldn't read .bin file, then fallback to read other default configuration file such as qwery.kcm.bin (So some key won't work properly).

Thanks my friend. I don't know what 644 is...please can you and others please advice this novice :)

If there are step by step instructions that would help.

I had to re-sbf to get it back to 'normal'.

conswo

Reaction score
There is an app called "virtual trackball" in the market. It has an option whether it could be a trackpad or a dpad on the screen. It might not be the final solution but I think it worthes a try.

PS I have email the developer of the app. Wish he could keep adding features to this app.

jhumbo

Reaction score
Just an FYI that I had to back this change out before the latest Verizon update would succeed. Prior to that it kept telling me that the update failed.

mir2006

Reaction score
Hi, I have a rooted Motorola PRO (Europe version) with QWERTZ keyboard and I only want to change the "y" for the "z".

I try to edit my keychars & keylayout files with a binary editor but I don't know what I have to change.

Could you tell me what I have to do?

Thanks!

smekkley

Reaction score
solved

I just added down and up function to vol down and up button.
It would be much better if I could add them to shift + ? and shift + voice...

Last edited: