Manually Sync FaceBook pictures to Gmail contacts

ccartertn

Reaction score
I have seen lots and lots of posts about contacts and how the Droid X and Facebook / Gmail don't play together as expected.
Basically, on the Droid X, you cannot synch *ONLY* those Facebook accounts that you have setup in Gmail. Most people don't want EVERYBODY in Facebook in their phone contacts.
Apparently there is a setting in non-X Droids that lets you do this.

I just wanted pictures to go with some of my phone contacts and I knew most of my phone contacts were also in Facebook.

I searched and found a program that will allow you to manually copy the pictures from Facebook to Gmail.

The program is called GoogleContactSync.exe
You can find it here:
Google Contact Sync | Heart of Angel

You basically run the program, put in your Gmail ID/password, put in your Facebook ID/password, it then lists all your gmail contacts. Then you select auto match and it matches facebook accounts with the gmail accounts. When you hit update all, it copies the Facebook pictures to Gmail.

You can also right-click on a gmail account and then select the Facebook account manually.

Issues:
* I did the auto-match and then wanted to un-link a few contacts since I already had pictures of them in gmail that I liked. When I right-click'd to unlink, I got an error. I am not sure if it actually unlinked them or not.

** You get some synch info pasted into the gmail contact's notes area - I can live with that.

I suggest you backup your contacts somehow first before doing this in case you are not happy with the results.

Use at your own risk. However, this served its purpose for me.

I expect someone will put a more-refined program/process out there eventually.

CC

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Moved to correct sub-forum

OP
ccartertn

ccartertn

Reaction score
Not sure if this should be in this thread since it is a Droid X specific issue? Your call...

CC