Making custom cable to make DROID work in iPod dock

Finnstang

Reaction score
If you scroll to the bottom of this page, you can see a pretty standard charging pinout for Motorola, I would imagine that this would need something similar.

Finnstang

Reaction score
So basically, I think the data + and - just hanging there not connected is what is preventing the charge.

Big Lou

Reaction score
There's more to it than just the cable. The dock won't recognize the phone software. I feel this is impossible.

Finnstang

Reaction score
There's more to it than just the cable. The dock won't recognize the phone software. I feel this is impossible.
Getting it to charge shouldn't be all that difficult using the USB wall charger. Getting it to charge on the clock/radio probably won't work since it probably will no be supplying enough current to that dock connector. Getting it to play music out through the clock radio speakers should also be relatively simple since he is planning on just running sound out the 3.5mm, I believe, to the dock connector...so it will basically be like plugging your Droid in the AUX port on a car stereo or something...the main issue with that will be that it is probably looking for a line level input and not an amplified input, but it should still work, I think...just might end up frying the internal amp of the clock radio maybe.

gentlefury

Reaction score
The problem with this is how do you get it to work once its in there. I can plug a usb hard drive into my car stereo, but I tried plugging in the droid and mounting the usb and it wouldn't read it.

Oh well, Bluetooth works just as well.

OP
J

jayneo8

Reaction score
So basically, I think the data + and - just hanging there not connected is what is preventing the charge.

If you scroll to the bottom of this page, you can see a pretty standard charging pinout for Motorola, I would imagine that this would need something similar.

Perfect. Thanks guys. All I had to do was short the two data wires and now it charges perfectly using the USB wall charger.

Now with the dock....

Right now I am focusing ONLY on charging the phone with the dock (no data i.e. controlling media player). Gotta take this one step at a time.

From the pinout...

"iPod 5G can also be forced to charge by attaching the data + and the data - pins to the 5v via a 10k Ohm resistor ( BOTH PINS) and connecting pin 16 to the 5v (ground). (Confirmed working with iPod 5G 20GB)"

I suppose that if I do this I could possibly force the dock to output 5V... sound reasonable??

krazykarl

Reaction score
Just to throw my 2 cents in, i think you may be going about it wrong. You don't need to figure out how to force an iPod to charge, you need to figure out how to get a dock to let the iPod charge. connecting the data lines to the +5v via a resistor applies to an iPod, not a droid (or any standard USB device).

I think you need to figure out how to get the dock to think an iPod is plugged in. Keep the data lines shorted together and then trick the dock.

Just from looking at the pinout from the OP, the iPod shorts pins 15 and 16 together, just like a dedicated charger shorts the data lines together. I'd try shorting those pins together and see if the dock begins supplying 5v power. if that doesn't work, the iPod may actually communicate with the dock to "ask" it to charge, in which case you're probably out of luck unless you want to create a full-blown iPod dock emulator to bridge between the dock and the droid, and i think thats the route you'd have to take to get a dock to play music from the droid.

brianr0131

Reaction score
No matter what you do, you'll still have to plug 2 cords into the Droid. why don't you use a 3.5mm jack to ipod dock (I haven't seen many without one) and plug the droid into the wall (or better yet Moto Dock so it's standing up). I don't see how it's worth all of this work.

OP
J

jayneo8

Reaction score
Just to throw my 2 cents in, i think you may be going about it wrong. You don't need to figure out how to force an iPod to charge, you need to figure out how to get a dock to let the iPod charge. connecting the data lines to the +5v via a resistor applies to an iPod, not a droid (or any standard USB device).

I think you need to figure out how to get the dock to think an iPod is plugged in. Keep the data lines shorted together and then trick the dock.

Just from looking at the pinout from the OP, the iPod shorts pins 15 and 16 together, just like a dedicated charger shorts the data lines together. I'd try shorting those pins together and see if the dock begins supplying 5v power. if that doesn't work, the iPod may actually communicate with the dock to "ask" it to charge, in which case you're probably out of luck unless you want to create a full-blown iPod dock emulator to bridge between the dock and the droid, and i think thats the route you'd have to take to get a dock to play music from the droid.

I attempted shorting some pins to no avail. I suppose the dock does require some sort of serial communication to provide charging which I obviously cannot emulate. =(

No matter what you do, you'll still have to plug 2 cords into the Droid. why don't you use a 3.5mm jack to ipod dock (I haven't seen many without one) and plug the droid into the wall (or better yet Moto Dock so it's standing up). I don't see how it's worth all of this work.

I have a limited supply of plugs in my room and I like having the phone next to my bed during the night. Plus its fun to tinker. :)

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
For this to work I think you would need an ipod dock emulator app on the phone (this would allow you to use the dock to control the music being played...instead of switching music directly from the phone screen)...

If you can't find a way to do that, then there isn't much difference than using an FM transmitter, or just hooking the phone's jack to a device/speaker.

For compatibility and convenience, what I think would be best is a high quality FM transmitter that can work via batteries (or/and cable charging).

Then you can do something neat, like have all the radios in your house on the same channel, so you can play your Droi'd music everywhere in the house (or whereever there is a radio)...

But if your just looking for a dock....maybe you should buy the multimedia dock, and just mod it so the connector it uses will go to another dock, pc etc... (basically a usb cable stuck through a dock case)...

Another idea is to build a custom dock that connects to power via usb, but also leaves the hole open for the jack, so you can run that to a speaker device.

The most promissing solution would be to have an app that can accept some type of blutooth remote signals (since the phone doesn't have infrared sensors as far as i know)...

Then you could switch songs/skip and such via a remote control.

Just some different ideas you could think about...

But without some type of app to handle connections of some sort, you might not be able to get communication between the dock and the phone.

Even if its just controlled by a certain pin, the droid probably won't understand it...unless android has some built-in function to skip songs (maybe support for those earbuds people have with pause/play controls on the wire)...

Last edited: