magnet interaction


New Member
Nov 16, 2010
Reaction score
okay so i think my phone came in contact with a magnet and its showing a different home screen and app screen .. im very OCD about stuff like this .. is there any way to get it back to the way it was???
Which phone and what does the home screen look like now?

It's possible. There are magnetic sensors in the back of some phones that are used to sense docking stations. When the phones are in the dock they switch to a home screen style that {supposedly} is better for that situation.

If you are stuck in one of these home screens most likely one of two things has happened.

1) You've damaged the magnetic sensor, probably by magnetizing it.

2) The software has glitched and thinks it's sensing a magnet.

In the case one, you're in trouble. You'll probably have to take it back to Verizon and see if you can get a replacement. It is possible to demagnetize using a device called a degausser, but the procedure is risky for delicate electronics like computers.

This should be safe, but the chance of it working is low. Get a bar magnet, not too strong, and alternately swipe the North and South ends past the phone. With each swipe move the magnet further away. This is basically how a degausser works, but with less energy and risk of burning delicate circuits.

Before you do anything though, you should try two things, if you haven't already.

First, just turn the phone off and then on again. Hold down the power button until you get the option to power down. Wait a minute or so after it's completely off and then turn it back on again.

If that does not work, with the phone on, remove the battery. Wait a few minutes, put the battery back in and turn the phone on.
If you are using a Droid X, and end up using the magnet, and the home screen is a big digital clock stuck in landscape with space for four icons at the bottom: try just below the battery case about half an inch above the "with Google™".
thanks for the help .. i actually fixed it before i got the reply and hopefully it didnt ruin anything internally ... i have the droid x and it came in contact with a magnet i had in my pocket at work .. i used the same magnet against the phone and the original screen came back