.m4a files

loopyloops

Reaction score
Does the Droid X play .m4a files - I see conflicting answers while searching, and I can get them to play on my Droid X? Thanks!

Update - seems I can play some .m4a files and not others...

Last edited:

Lex_Luthor

Reaction score
Does the Droid X play .m4a files - I see conflicting answers while searching, and I can get them to play on my Droid X? Thanks!

yeah i kinda had the same deal going. It plays sometimes and plays some and others it wont but a way to go around that is by using a file browser app(like one that allows you to browse through the files in the sd card). Theres already a stock one but i dont use it. I use OI File Manager and just search for the .m4a im looking for and select it, and if you have more than one media player on your phone then it gives you a popup aksing which one you want to use. Select the prefered one and it usually always worked for me this way, also i use the stock media player. Hope this made any sense and helped.

Edit: You can also try converting the files too. theres plenty of free audio converters out there.

OP
L

loopyloops

Reaction score

yeah i kinda had the same deal going. It plays sometimes and plays some and others it wont but a way to go around that is by using a file browser app(like one that allows you to browse through the files in the sd card). Theres already a stock one but i dont use it. I use OI File Manager and just search for the .m4a im looking for and select it, and if you have more than one media player on your phone then it gives you a popup aksing which one you want to use. Select the prefered one and it usually always worked for me this way, also i use the stock media player. Hope this made any sense and helped.

Edit: You can also try converting the files too. theres plenty of free audio converters out there.

Hi - thanks - yeah it's strange - I've actually tried that, but it doesn't work - just for a few albums - hmmm.

speedfreeq

Reaction score
If they are DRM files (ie .m4p) then they will not play using the Android music player. I only mention this b/c you mentioned that some albums were affected... I have the same issue (ironically) with a Thievery Corp album that is older and DRM. There's no more DRM music on iTunes, but any you have will have to be converted to .mp3 to play on your Droid.

-from my 1.2 GHz PEv3.5 Droid

OP
L

loopyloops

Reaction score
If they are DRM files (ie .m4p) then they will not play using the Android music player. I only mention this b/c you mentioned that some albums were affected... I have the same issue (ironically) with a Thievery Corp album that is older and DRM. There's no more DRM music on iTunes, but any you have will have to be converted to .mp3 to play on your Droid.

-from my 1.2 GHz PEv3.5 Droid

They're not protected - but one thing I just noticed is they're really big (like 15+ mb each!