looking for THE special Rom/kernel.

oDECREEx

Reaction score
Okay, I've flashed almost every rom out there only to have bad results with them for the decent battery life. I'm looking for a rom that's has a decent amount of customization but not completely overrun with it, as well as being stable and quick. BUT I'm also looking for a rom and kernel combo to get the most battery.. Like I said I've gone through almost every rom.. And I've only experimented with 2 kernels.. Anyone give me a heads up, or point me in a direction to look to find this Perfect combination of; good battery life, (stock or better), stable, and quick (does not have to be the Usain bolt of roms) just something that's quick to use as a daily driver. Anyone?

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
There have been threads asking similar questions in the past, and there tend to be tons of different responses. There is no real answer to this question. Your best bet is to keep experimenting. There is no best ROM or best kernel. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but if there was a kernel or ROM that was the best I am sure almost everyone would be running it.

OP
O

oDECREEx

Reaction score
cupfulloflol said:
There have been threads asking similar questions in the past, and there tend to be tons of different responses. There is no real answer to this question. Your best bet is to keep experimenting. There is no best ROM or best kernel. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but if there was a kernel or ROM that was the best I am sure almost everyone would be running it.

You make a very good point. I've been doing roms and such for years and never really noticed how much an impact on battery there was until my Gnex. But that's what I've been told is that you have to experiment on which works best for the user. But also thanks a lot for the advice!

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
You make a very good point. I've been doing roms and such for years and never really noticed how much an impact on battery there was until my Gnex. But that's what I've been told is that you have to experiment on which works best for the user. But also thanks a lot for the advice!

Yeah it is unfortunate that it is that way. It would be much easier for everyone if someone could say "Use ROM A with kernel B and your battery will never drain, it will stay at 100% forever." But that isn't possible. While of course recommendations can be made, they don't really mean anything. Battery life between two users is going to be quite different. What apps do you have running, stuff synchronizing in the background, what settings are used within apps and system, what radios are being used, how strong is your signal, how long has your screen been on..... I mean the list is endless. A ROM and kernel can potentially come into play there too, but they are only a part of the equation (arguably small part). E2A: Also, battery life is kinda subjective. Some people may consider it lasting through their 8 hour work day with quite a bit of usage to be good, others may want quite a bit more out of it.

My personal recommendation usually is to try and find a ROM that has the speed and features you want/need, then see what you can do to get your battery life into a usable place. Then from there tinker with kernels. GSAM battery monitor is great to see what is causing drain. CPU spy is a nice tool to see if you are hitting deep sleep while idle.