Looking for dead zones on I-65 south.

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My wife and I will be taking a road trip from Wisconsin to Florida via I-65 south for most of the way. We are making it an Android road trip, all we're bring is our cloths and a bunch of money and our Droids. We have no set plans except to head south, and I was wondering if anyone out there my know of any areas that we may lose coverage.

I don't want to have to bring a paper map, we just want to listen to the navigation ladies voice the whole way there and pandora. So an area of bad coverage and we may get lost.

Also bring on the suggestions if anyone has any! We will be stopping only to see new things and try new places, no sleeping in a bed till we get there. So if you know of anything for us to check out let me know! On the way home we may stay in Nashville for night.

Thanks.

cpjr

Reaction score
I don't honestly think anyone could answer that. Better check verizons coverage map.

dwagner88

Reaction score
It would be hard to get lost on I-65, it goes pretty much straight. But it does NOT go to Florida. It ends in Mobile. My advice: have a paper map just in case. Problem solved. Or check your coverage maps. It's not realistic to expect someone to be able to tell you where you will have service on a 1000+ mile roadtrip.

OP

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You guys took that all wrong, I wasn't looking for someone to give me a specific map of all the bad areas along a whole interstate trip. I asking to find out if anyone lived along any part of this HWY and maybe new of an area with no coverage.

I also know I-65 doesn't go there, if i'm posting in a forum I probably know how to use goggle maps, thanks.

This was a friendly post in General Discussions thanks for the friendly help!

resleepinfish

Reaction score
Well* 22899 I might have some info for you...I travel for work from Pensacola north to birmingham up hwy 29 to I-65 with the only drop in coverage around mile marker 281 but only last a couple of miles n/s...now on I-10 to Tallahass there are to areas of one bar or less coverage...mile marker 40 in Holy and between mile markers 87 thru 101 in Carryvile. Hope this helps and drive safe.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
My wife and I will be taking a road trip from Wisconsin to Florida via I-65 south for most of the way. We are making it an Android road trip, all we're bring is our cloths and a bunch of money and our Droids. We have no set plans except to head south, and I was wondering if anyone out there my know of any areas that we may lose coverage.

I don't want to have to bring a paper map, we just want to listen to the navigation ladies voice the whole way there and pandora. So an area of bad coverage and we may get lost.

Also bring on the suggestions if anyone has any! We will be stopping only to see new things and try new places, no sleeping in a bed till we get there. So if you know of anything for us to check out let me know! On the way home we may stay in Nashville for night.

Thanks.

I cant really answer your questions, but i do have to say this sounds amazing. Screw plans, its just you, the open road, your girl and having fun. That sounds like a vacation. Im not crazy about stopping on random things on the road...like the world largest beercan and whatnot but i can defently see the relaxation in this...their is nothing holding...only food which is easy to come comby. (oh the stress lol)

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I can vouge for 65 from Louisville, Ky to Decatur, Al which brings you right through Tennessee - as far as your trip, it sounds like a blast...I hope you and your wife have a great time :)

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
^65 has strong coverage from KT all the way through TN (passes through Nashville). In general (at least here in the east, it differs once you go further west) as long as you're within a mile or so of the Interstate you have coverage. Even going through I-40 (between Knoxville and Ashville) there's FULL coverage and if there was ANY Interstate section that wouldn't have coverage it would be along that section.

Moot point though isn't it?? The new(est) version of maps allows you to cache map info so you could just cache the whole route/map data on your SD card before you start.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
^65 has strong coverage from KT all the way through TN (passes through Nashville). In general (at least here in the east, it differs once you go further west) as long as you're within a mile or so of the Interstate you have coverage. Even going through I-40 (between Knoxville and Ashville) there's FULL coverage and if there was ANY Interstate section that wouldn't have coverage it would be along that section.

Moot point though isn't it?? The new(est) version of maps allows you to cache map info so you could just cache the whole route/map data on your SD card before you start.
always thinkin google...always thinkin. :icon_ banana:

jaw4bama

Reaction score
I live in Alabama so I know alot about I-65, you will have a couple of hit and miss spots North of Montgomery and south of Montgomery, and but other than that you are good to go the whole state of Alabama!

sharkerbaby

Reaction score
I know you didn't ask about this but if you're road tripping you might consider installing "GeoReader". As you approach historical and other interesting locations it will tell you information about them. I installed it a few monthes ago and have enjoyed it, has told me all kinds of new and interesting information.

harv2000

Reaction score
If you were really concerned about always having maps available, you might consider installing Copilot V8 USA ($4 something in the marketplace).

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I ran into a stretch where VZW didn't have data coverage between ~Elizabethtown and Bowling Green. Not sure if it was just some sort of outage or something else. This was on I65 itself but this was back in September 2010, FWIW.

Shouldn't be an issue unless you need to initiate Google Maps Nav without coverage. If you're already en route you'll probably be fine. Even then you'll probably be fine with the cached data.

Last edited: