Looking for a "where is" app for public transportation

Starsushi

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is an app that will tell you where the bus or train you're waiting for is at?

For instance, I'm waiting for a specific train, (and waiting, and waiting), I would put in something like, "B line inbound". Then it would use the GPS location thingy to know where I'm waiting for the train and would also locate the current location of the train. Or maybe it would be able to just tell where the train is using the transit system itself. Something like that.

I'm guessing that this wouldn't be easy to do though because like here in Boston, the trains are underground a lot of the time...

LordKastle

Reaction score
And if you are in Boston, unless you are taking a commuter rail you know very well the trains come every few minutes.

But you want an MBTA app? Interesting. I'd get it for novelty too.

OP
Starsushi

Starsushi

Reaction score
Ha! You must not have taken the "T" lately, at least not any of the green line trains.

My experience frequently riding this line is what gave me the idea in the first place.

glamtek666

Reaction score
Well theres an app in the Market for the public transit system here in Chicago. I would imagine there would be ones for other major cities. Did you try searching with the name of the public transit system in your city?

OP
Starsushi

Starsushi

Reaction score
Yes, I looked but couldn't find one under Boston or MBTA.

Just out of curiosity, does the Chicago app let you know the location of a particular train or bus? Or does it have just schedules and such?

OP
Starsushi

Starsushi

Reaction score
Thanks for that link. I read the FAQ...at least something is in the works. Now how long before it's actually implemented is another story.

sapient79

Reaction score
News?

Any recent news on if an app like this is coming? One similar to the iphone: Me2Bus: Track metro buses on your iPhone

I live in Seattle. We have no subway system, the closest thing is the new light rail but its line is still extremely limited, and buses are rarely on time. Would be great to be able to track them.

Dragoro

Reaction score
Just be thankful ya aint ridin the L in chicago. You NEVER know when those dang things are going to show up, or when they are going to suddenly made the one your on express and make ya get off and wait for the next one so that you can actually get off at your stop. Not to mention they run at around 15 miles per hour half the time.

tommyz

Reaction score
Just be thankful ya aint ridin the L in chicago. You NEVER know when those dang things are going to show up, or when they are going to suddenly made the one your on express and make ya get off and wait for the next one so that you can actually get off at your stop. Not to mention they run at around 15 miles per hour half the time.

Off Topic:
When was the last time your rode the ' L ' ? I noticed your profile says Michigan. I ride the Blue Line and don't have any problems since they did the track upgrades.