LG Tones+ Review LGHBS 730

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've had this thing a few months now so here's my personal findings when used with an LG G2, Note4 and Note8.
For range the G2 wins as far as distance before drop so I know the device it's paired to affects this so I'll not discuss beyond they all go at least the advertised 30' when listening to music but on the Note4 the phone call range is about 15' before heavy static .
The battery life has been amazing considering its small size. I get about 9 hours of music before the voice says to charge it. Unlike my other stereo Bluetooth collection ensemble, once it says to charge you've got about 2 minutes before it powers down. My others give at least 10 minutes but give an annoying reminder about once a minute.
The placement and ergonomics of the buttons is by far the best of any I've ever used . They feel huge when seeking them but to the eye they are sleek and don't detract from the units overall looks. It takes little effort to make them perform their intended function but enough tactile response to limit accidental taps causing unwanted effects.
The main unit is worn around the neck with a set of in ear type "buds" . It came with several different sizes but I ended up using a the giant sized ones from an old pair of Skullcandy Inkds because the tighter the fit the better the bass reality. You can get booming bass with any of them but to get the most real sound a good snug fit works best along with noise isolation. There have been times when in reading, fishing or other activities and they are very comfortable for hours at a time.
When not in use the buds fit into the main unit via magnets but function loses out to form with this unfortunately . The magnets aren't strong at all so the buds pop out very very easily, kinda ruining the whole concept when not using them .
The unit itself is big when trying to tuck into a shirt collar so it can work for discretionary looks but anything short of a hoodie collar will be uncomfortable most likely for you. I know it is for me.
Phone call quality and volume are at least as good as any other Bluetooth earpiece but having double mono with no noise around you ,due to the inherent noise suppression of in ear buds, can be disconcerting and seem too loud but thankfully the volume buttons are easy to find and use quickly.
The reason I got these things was reading something about "CD quality sound" for music or other a2dp media. I've got 4 other sets of Bluetooth stereo headphones of various design and they all where 1 quality, a lack of depth and "real" sound. Some call it "corded quality" but whatever you call it all seem to suffer from it...... except these.
From the first time I paired them with my G2 , started Power Amp on the phone and played with the eq a little to fine tune the mids a little, I can only say they really do have that missing "corded quality". I prefer to listen to live tracks when possible due to their openness and so much going on with so many things that are very subtle (that whistle from the back of the audience during a solo, subtle echoes off the walls during melodic vocals, the thump of a bass drum, etc) that I used to switch to my corded collection for when I was using music to forget the outside world for a bit.
Do they sound like $500 studio corded headphones? No. Do they sound a lot better than most Bluetooth headphones out there? Probably but that's a truly personal call as some think dollar store headphones sound great whereas some would be remiss with anything less than audiophile quality. I paid $48, including shipping, to Amazon for them.
Give Coldplay live, Paul McCartney live (the cannons shooting in Live and Let Die are just wow) , a piano/violin solo or your favorite all orchestra movie soundtrack, or whatever, a spin with them. You'll notice a very nice difference from what you had from yesteryear.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
Great review! I love my LG Tone! I use it daily!

sent from my sexy Note 4

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I noticed a ups driver talking on his to a coworker on her phone because she was in the back and he was out front. It was faster to call her then wait for her to come up front and answer a quick question. After he left I asked her how that phone call sounded to her, she not knowing he was using Bluetooth in a noisy environment. She said it sounded normal and asked why. I said "he was on a Bluetooth and I was interested in how it was for calls to someone". She said it didn't sound like "a Bluetooth" at all. My wife is very discerning about that stuff, loathes when I talk to her on an earpiece and she speaks very quietly, making it hard for me to hear her in anything less than total silence. When she calls if I'm not driving I just pop the other bud in to drown out noise and I can hear her very well. If I'm driving I just turn up the volume and can hear her much better than my Jawbones or Jabras. I've got a Moto Whisper due Tuesday and I'm going to review it after I put it through its paces under extreme conditions (she has a very high pitch voice and practically whispers all the time unless I'm in trouble).

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4