LG G2 Named DroidForums.net 2013 Smartphone of the Year

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
lg-g2white.jpg

Just over a week ago we polled the DroidForums.net community to find out what handset would become the official DroidForums.net 2013 Smartphone of the year and boy was it close. The LG G2 squeezed out a very close win by only one (1) vote beating out the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 for the honor of DroidForums.net 2013 Smartphone of the Year. Not surprisingly, Motorola's Moto X was right up there battling it out and was bested by the G2 by a mere three (3) votes. The tightness of the race is a testament to the ever increasing excellence in Android handsets. In years past there was usually a clear winner, but nowadays there is some excellent Android hardware with really no losers in the bunch.

Here's a quick breakdown of how close the top 3 smartphones were in votes:

• LG G2 - 25 votes
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - 24 votes
  • Moto X - 22 votes

What came as a surprise to us here at DroidForums headquarters, is the lackluster performance of the Nexus 5. It racked up a measly six (6) votes, but we are going to assume that's because DF focuses heavily on Verizon Wireless's hardware. At any rate, congratulations to the LG G2 on the win!

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for joining the poll everyone!

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
It's kind of funny that this forum is more for Verizon's Droid line specifically...and they didn't even make the top 3.

Gremlin

Reaction score
No offense.. LG G2 gets 25 and you mention Note 3 as as 24 votes but in the text below you say S3 :p

ere's a quick breakdown of how close the top 3 smartphones were in votes:

• LG G2 - 25 votes
  • Samsung Galaxy S3 - 24 votes
  • Moto X - 22 votes

S

SFGate

At any rate, I just wish a larger number of people had taken the effort to vote. Still, congrats to the G2.

hotice

Reaction score
It's kind of funny that this forum is more for Verizon's Droid line specifically...and they didn't even make the top 3.
Yeah, I'm surprised the Droid Maxx didn't get in the top three. It's a right-sized device. The GPU is excellent for the screen resolution. The screen resolution is fine for the screen size. It's fast, has great battery life, and two co-processors to help with specific tasks rather than two more, mostly unused, conventional CPU cores.

The G2 is a powerful device with the Snapdragon 800 but I'm not sure it will run games any better than the Droid Maxx since the Droid Maxx has lower resolution. I also prefer the build of the Droid Maxx. I'd expect the G2 has a better camera.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
G2 trumps maxx in every category except two most important ones. Battery life and signal quality.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wow, that was a close poll. I would agree, that the G2 is one hellava phone. Glad the Moto X made the top 3.

eddie7

Reaction score
The battery on the G2 is outstanding. And it has very good signal strength. Plus the screen and camera are amazing.

acousticshade

Reaction score
G2 trumps maxx in every category except two most important ones. Battery life and signal quality.

Yes, but in the past, moto had a serious advantage in those two categories. With the G2, that's not the case. It's a pretty minor tradeoff unless you live in a very poor signal area.

LG just figured out that those two categories are as important as a great screen or camera. HTC still hasn't figured out how to put a decent battery in a phone & Sammy a good radio.

Also, some of us missed the deadline & voted late, so there are some more 'unofficial' ballots that could be included.

comk4ver

Reaction score
Since I visit the forum via Tapatalk I forget to participate in the polls otherwise chalk up another vote for the G2.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk