Layman's Terms Please

Mishy

Reaction score
I have tried to do my research for the Incredible v. Droid and holy cow most of the words used are super confusing. I am not technically gifted as the rest of you so with that said, and now that most of you on here have the phone, please dumb down the pros and cons for me. I am on a phone list to get the Incredible. I have had the Droid for a week now and love it, but it's like a brick and I have no reason for a qwerty(?) keyboard, that's the only thing that's persuading me to the Incredible.

NeutronBomb

Reaction score
If you never use the hard keyboard and think the Droid is a brick then its a no brained to go with the incredible. Coming from a blackberry by the time you get into rooting and all that the incredible should be rooted and have some time available.

buckfill

Reaction score
Much like yourself I've had the same questions. After oogles and oogles of reading here's what I've found as "sound" advice.

The droid is heavier and constructed with metal instead of plastic. It has a slideout keyboard. If you are a keyboard type of person, then compared to the Incredible it's probably a better device for you.

the Incredible doesn't have a physical keyboard and is constructed of plastic therefore making it lighter. Many have said it feels "cheap". But I guess if weight is a concern for you the "cheap feeling" will dissipate quickly. The big downside I see to the incredible is if you weigh a lot on getting upgrades. Since it runs SenseUI, HTC has a pretty bad track record at keeping Android and its' own SenseUI updated. Many current devices are still at 1.5 or 1.6 while the rest of the world is on 2.x. I'm sort of in this boat. I'm always scouting when the next version is coming out because I'm an early adopter type of user. So, updates are a huge concern to me. this has been my biggest red flag about the purchase and I'm banking that HTC will get it right or will start become known as a stagnant mover.

I've had a Droid since Jan/Feb and love it dearly. However, I fell victim to the weight aspect of the incredible as well as some of the advanced Exchange Activesync features. I'll hang onto my droid for a month or so to make sure things are going to be the same or better.

You will read a lot on battery life. I think you have to be fair to HTC on this and let things settle for a while. Everyone that has an incredible in their hand is nerding out way too hard right now and that doesn't give the incredible a chance to be credible as far as battery life. Battery life always gets better once people quit playing every 5 minutes and the battery conditions itself. If I would've returned my droid based on the battery life the first week of use I would've made a big mistake. I can easily run a 12 hour day now of moderate (under 30 minutes) of voice and heavy texting, emailing, and web.

So, good luck on the incredible. Mine should be in hand tomorrow! Let the early adopter testing begin!

Whit66

Reaction score
I have had the Droid for just under 30 days, tomorrow I will order the Incredilble, do you believe it will perform as well as the Droid? Do you have any concerns about signal strength with the Incredible?

gatorbait

Reaction score
I have tried to do my research for the Incredible v. Droid and holy cow most of the words used are super confusing. I am not technically gifted as the rest of you so with that said, and now that most of you on here have the phone, please dumb down the pros and cons for me. I am on a phone list to get the Incredible. I have had the Droid for a week now and love it, but it's like a brick and I have no reason for a qwerty(?) keyboard, that's the only thing that's persuading me to the Incredible.
They are both virtually identical in most respects. If you dislike the weight of the Droid and its keyboard, I would unequivocally purchase the Incredible. In fact, I am buying an Incredible tomorrow for those exact reasons; I never use the slide out keyboard and I dislike the weight/width of the Droid compared to the Incredible. The Incredible just feels more like a phone in my pocket and less like I'm carrying a small brick.

NeutronBomb

Reaction score
The funny thing is when I bought the Droid I figured is never use the hard kb Nd is just have to learn to ignore it but I ended up using it almost exclusively for anything landscape.

now that I've had the incredible for a day though I really think that it goes like this.

Android soft kb < Droid hard kb < HTC soft kb.

joshbroton

Reaction score
The funny thing is when I bought the Droid I figured is never use the hard kb Nd is just have to learn to ignore it but I ended up using it almost exclusively for anything landscape.

now that I've had the incredible for a day though I really think that it goes like this.

Android soft kb < Droid hard kb < HTC soft kb.

Yes, but downloading the IHE keyboard for your Droid = win and is > them all

buckfill

Reaction score
Sorry to hog the board, but one perfect example of upgrade frustration that I would have with an HTC product today.

With the new version of android 2.1 you can now voice to text. I about fell off my chair the first time I used it. I showed the function to my wife and she says voice to text is all she does while driving and said it's the best phone she's ever had. To a man, that's like hearing, "That was the best sex I've ever had in my life." from a 35 year old woman! lol.

So, I will be very upset if a similar update comes out and we "incredibles" can't make use of it in a reasonable amount of time because we're at the mercy of HTC and Sense.

Once again, if you're an early adopter type of person, stick with what works now....the Droid. that...coming from a Droid owner that will be switching to an incredible tomorrow afternoon.

OP
M

Mishy

Reaction score
Sorry to hog the board, but one perfect example of upgrade frustration that I would have with an HTC product today.

With the new version of android 2.1 you can now voice to text. I about fell off my chair the first time I used it. I showed the function to my wife and she says voice to text is all she does while driving and said it's the best phone she's ever had. To a man, that's like hearing, "That was the best sex I've ever had in my life." from a 35 year old woman! lol.

So, I will be very upset if a similar update comes out and we "incredibles" can't make use of it in a reasonable amount of time because we're at the mercy of HTC and Sense.

Once again, if you're an early adopter type of person, stick with what works now....the Droid. that...coming from a Droid owner that will be switching to an incredible tomorrow afternoon.

The bit about the voice to text is funnier 'an ****. Thanks for the information, a lot is better than too little in my opinion. I actually went to the VZW store today and the chick there told me that if I don't like the keyboard then INC is the way to go. Plus she explained what all these teckie terms meant and they all mean faster and better SO! I'm almost sold. I should know tomorrow (crosses fingers) after I play with it for a bit if I'm getting it.