LauncherPro and Better Cut help

tu3218

Reaction score
I'm trying to use icon packs from better cut, for the icons on the bottom dock. But whenever I long press an select better cut an then go an change the icon, it just makes a new regular icon on my home screen. It never changes the dock icon to what I want. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

BuglessFan

Reaction score
This used to frustrate me. The standard quick answer is to just use the custom icon choice on the menu after adding one, skipping BC altogether. Check out Folder Organizer. I switched to it after Better Cut's slowness got to be too much for me. It makes it easy to add items or folders just about anywhere with custom icons, plus it's easy to add the same icon in multiple places, a huge timesaver when you use multiple launchers and like to test and experiment.

BuglessFan

Reaction score
If your main reason for using BetterCut is to have a custom icon, that's already built into the launcher. If you add a regular shortcut, as soon as you are done it will ask if you want to use the standard icon, one of the Launcher Pro icons or an image from your gallery.

In general, I got tired of BetterCut being so finicky and slow (and its nasty habit of adding icons in the wrong place or in the default launcher and QD randomly instead of just to the launcher you were actually creating the shortcut in, so I switched over to using FolderOrganizer which does a lot more cool things for me. I paid for BetterCut, but I can't see using it ever again.

OP
T

tu3218

Reaction score
I just want to be able to use the icons that I can download. I get to those options but none of those allow me to use icon packs. How can I get to use the icon packs?

BuglessFan

Reaction score
If you download FolderOrganizer then when you go to add one to the launcher it'll use whatever custom icon you set for the App in it (and it allows you to use icon packs as a source). Alternatively, with some google work you can usually find the PNGs that most icon packs are put together from, and you can download the individual icons you want.

Honestly playing with Launcher Pro is what got me to check out Folder Organizer in the first place because of this weirdness with BetterCut pushing the icons back to the desktop, but I'm so glad I discovered it, as I really like the labels and putting them on the desktop instead of the normal folders. Its free, stable, and pretty easy to use: DroidWeb - Wordpress Toolbar

OP
T

tu3218

Reaction score
Yeah I have app organizer which seems similar to folder organizer. I was able to use my custom icon with app organizer but it still took me too the box that holds the apps. I wish I could get it to directly launch the specific app I have set. Also yeah, if I could get ahold of the individual png an put them in my galery an set the icons that way.

BuglessFan

Reaction score
FO is the next step and much better thought out. It also lets you do individual items, not just groups/labels/folders.

BuglessFan

Reaction score
Yes. When you go to add a shortcut both FO item and FO label should be in the list, a label is a "folder" of items and an item is a single item. Before you add it to the screen or launcher, go in and set the icon you want in the FO program.

skeezicks

Reaction score
Check out Folder Organizer. I switched to it after Better Cut's slowness got to be too much for me. It makes it easy to add items or folders just about anywhere with custom icons, plus it's easy to add the same icon in multiple places, a huge timesaver when you use multiple launchers and like to test and experiment.

+1 to this. I used to want to tear my hair out using Better Cut. It's SO slow; since it doesn't cache a list of your installed applications, it has to read them from your phone every time you want to change an icon. How silly is that? Folder Organizer, in comparison, is a pleasure to use.

BuglessFan

Reaction score
I've grown pretty fond of the labels too. It's nice to use the labels for speed dial/speed text groups too.

Elric

Reaction score
If you add FolderOrganizer labels and items (via the Long Press->Shortscuts->FolderOrganizer Label method) will LauncherPro restore them after a restore or will you have to manually re-add them like you do widgets?

I've recently switched to LauncherPro from dxTop because redoing my home screens manually after a ROM switch was incredibly time consuming with all the shortcuts/folders/widgets.