Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
A bit more than a week ago, we reported that Fennec was heading into the 2.0 version of its alpha stages. While nightly builds of the Android version had been available before, only the Nokia N900 version of the mobile browser had gotten a stable Alpha distribution (yes, I know that makes no sense, but it’s the only way I see fit to describe it as it’s technically been in alpha development for months now).

Mozilla’s hosting a full changelog over at their site, so be sure to head over there to see what’s new with this compared to the nightlies. Don’t forget that this is alpha so you’re bound to run into bugs. Once that happens, be sure to drop Mozilla a line to let them know (that’s if they aren’t already aware). Visit this link from your Android phone to get started.

Latest Fennec Alpha is Now Available | Android Phone Fans

Darkseider

Reaction score
Downloading now and will see how it runs compared to the initial release they had a while back which was a horror show. Will report back if it's worth the hassle.

EDIT: Aside from having to use ADB to install the damned thing with the install -s command to install to SD it installed cleanly. Launched it and waited.. waited... waited... Comes up and welcome to Fennec. SLOW AS ALL HELL at 1 Ghz on my Droid running BB v0.4. Like holy crap slow. REALLY FREAKING SLOW. Seriously not worth the time or effort yet to even download and try it. Stick with the stock browser or Dolphin. This thing is faster than the first Alpha release but is still a PIG.

Last edited:

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
Interestingly, it wouldn't download properly in Dolphin ; I had to use the stock browser. Second time Dolphin has acted up today, which is why this thread caught my eye, aside from being a longtime Firefox user.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Darkseider

Reaction score
Don't even bother. Seriously. I understand it is an Alpha build but FFS it is larger than the x86 download for the latest version that runs on Linux. Yeah I know it has debug code and all that jazz in it but this is a mobile device after all. The fact that it is this damned huge for an .apk not to mention 28 or so megs after install!? Come on. Time to put the Fox for Android on a diet.

Darkseider

Reaction score
HOLY CRAP! This thing is now beyond horrible! The cache/data it creates on initial run is 5.28 Meg. To top it all off it throw that in the phones memory and NOT the SD Card. Uninstalling now. JUNK.

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
And I thought it was just cos I have a D1 and it needed a faster CPU or more memory.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Epic, er I mean alpha fail.

I hate to say it but they need to get their act together quickly.

misterSelf

Reaction score
I know it's Alpha, but this is pure fail...and slow as an ant walking through molasses.

Jer

Reaction score
Google just needs to buy Dolphin, make it fast again like it used to be before the devs began sacrificing speed for features and call it Fennec. Job well done!

Until then, I'll just stick with the stock browser.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I saw their video and wanted to download it. Too bad.

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
It's really too bad, it was the only browser that could post on the Cakewalk software forums (ASPplaygrpund.net type).