Laptops

mrnelson86

Reaction score
With the coming tax season and the new Intel processors...I will be having a bit of money burning a hole in my pocket! I need advice for a new laptop that is somewhat small/light (I have a 17" beastly older everex right now). I was thinking about a macbook pro(my fiance has one and we both love it), but they aren't updated with the new intel processors yet, so I'm a little bit hesitant since they will be outdated rather quickly. I also started looking at a sony vaio, but I've never owned a sony cpu before. Anyone have any other recommendations? I will be partitioning the hard drive (or using two hard drives if it comes with it) to dual-boot with a Ubuntu partition for Linux fun! I would love to run mac os x as well, but I know without a hackintosh that is tough to do.

I'm open to suggestions!

Spyte

Reaction score
Personally I like asus laptops, with hp a close second. With a sony you pay too much for the name, toshibas come with too much crap preloaded. Gateways are ok. Ibm's have are their own religion but I personally don't like them. Alienware is hawt but expensive. If u get a HUGE refund you could go falcon northwest or voodoo pc; pretty pretty laptops with souls of piratical-ninjatastic-muscle cars.

Raegis

Reaction score
I agree with Spyte.

I just bought an ASUS N61Jq with the Core i7 and ATI 5730, runs smooth and plays anything i throw at it so far. Has very few bloatware on it as well. Got it for around $1200 including a 2 year warranty on newegg.com.

Deciding on which to buy all depends on what your gonna do with it. I game so i bought something with higher specs then usual, if its just for web surfing and email then i would get something a little cheaper.

Silver Member
Reaction score
OP, if you think a 17" is too beastly, maybe you should look into netbooks instead? not sure what you're looking to get out of a laptop, but the 17s seem to be the only ones with half-decent video cards these days.

as much as i love my laptop, i know that i'm limited in my choices. it's only a 15.4" but it's large enough to make travel somewhat cumbersome and small enough that it's at the upper-end of its technology.

OP
mrnelson86

mrnelson86

Reaction score
I appreciate the advice, that last one is a bit pricey (1600.00) for me, I would get a macbook pro like my fiance has if I was going to spend that much. She has a 13" and we really like it. I ended up going for a 14" sony from best buy, I linked it earlier. It was 950 + tax and shipping, but it retailed for 1200 from every other supplier, including newegg.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
I have dragged Dells all over the country, and I have abused the *&^% out of several of them for the past 10 years. Never a failure. I replace them when I wear the logo off of the back off the screen from putting them in and out of my laptop bag.