Lapdock?

erasmussen14

Reaction score
Have heard rumors of a lapdock for the bionic. Curious to see if that comes to fruition. Currently using a Droid X running Liberty GB rom, overclocked ULV and the phone runs fast, smooth and gets a day and a half on a charge. No need to upgrade really, unless I could dock the phone and run linux on a thin lapdock. I wish ATT didn't blow balls, otherwise I'd have an Atrix right now...

Funny, all the polls I've seen online on what would be a determining factor for purchasing the "next phone" and the lapdock is never mentioned. I understand that its pretty locked down out of the box and was expensive at launch, but I hear its a pretty damn convenient accessory if you root and rom the Atrix.

Sadly, I have a feeling its not in the cards for the Bionic.

If Android has any weaknesses compared to the Iphone, its definitely fragmentation, too many damn phones, were seeing this now with Gingerbread having issues with so many different devices. Same thing is most likely going to keep the lapdock from getting a Bionic port.

Meh. Can't win em all, Droid X will do the trick for a while longer, unless I'm wrong.

E

J

JriderG

It will have it. Moto said all high end phones will have it from June onward. Read engadget, they have alot of info on android phones.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
We've seen pictures of the Bionic in the lapdock, not that I find it important, but it will be available for use.

GBH2

Reaction score
Have heard rumors of a lapdock for the bionic. Curious to see if that comes to fruition. Currently using a Droid X running Liberty GB rom, overclocked ULV and the phone runs fast, smooth and gets a day and a half on a charge. No need to upgrade really, unless I could dock the phone and run linux on a thin lapdock. I wish ATT didn't blow balls, otherwise I'd have an Atrix right now...

Funny, all the polls I've seen online on what would be a determining factor for purchasing the "next phone" and the lapdock is never mentioned. I understand that its pretty locked down out of the box and was expensive at launch, but I hear its a pretty damn convenient accessory if you root and rom the Atrix.

Sadly, I have a feeling its not in the cards for the Bionic.

If Android has any weaknesses compared to the Iphone, its definitely fragmentation, too many damn phones, were seeing this now with Gingerbread having issues with so many different devices. Same thing is most likely going to keep the lapdock from getting a Bionic port.

Meh. Can't win em all, Droid X will do the trick for a while longer, unless I'm wrong.

E
The Bionic will have the lapdock as was stated above. I personally think the lapdock would be cool - I just can't justify paying a huge amount for it. I definitely don't understand all the hate out there for it - I find it very strange to "hate" an extra added feature that you don't have to use if you don't want and that has no effect on the phone if you don't use it.
IMGBIONIC.jpg

From http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mo...ep-shows-up-verizon-store-pictures-taken.html

OP
E

erasmussen14

Reaction score
The Bionic will have the lapdock as was stated above. I personally think the lapdock would be cool - I just can't justify paying a huge amount for it. I definitely don't understand all the hate out there for it - I find it very strange to "hate" an extra added feature that you don't have to use if you don't want and that has no effect on the phone if you don't use it.
View attachment 39265

From http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mo...ep-shows-up-verizon-store-pictures-taken.html

Thanks for the link. This is encouraging news. The lapdock didn't sell too well for the Atrix, and the prices have fallen pretty low at this time.

****. Now I'm gonna have to get a Bionic...

E

tcayton49

Reaction score
Reports are that the lapdock capabilities for the Bionic have been upgraded over what's available for the Atrix. If that turns out to be true it will be a much better overall experience but likely still pretty expensive.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think I might actually get the lapdock. Not retail but through eBay or something. I used one at Bestbuy with the Atrix and it was pretty cool. Just wasn't worth the asking price.

devils3023

Reaction score
I will most likely be getting the lapdock. I use my computer at school and would much rather take the lapdock with me instead of my $1200 laptop. Would be a great convenience and can leave my laptop at home for my girl to use too. Hope it's reasonably priced and functions properly.

Donsell

Reaction score
I would consider a lap doc if I didn't have to pay for more data. ATT&T requires a tethering data plan for theirs. I'd expect Verizon to do the same, even if you have unlimited data on your phone.

devils3023

Reaction score
I would consider a lap doc if I didn't have to pay for more data. ATT&T requires a tethering data plan for theirs. I'd expect Verizon to do the same, even if you have unlimited data on your phone.

Really? That's the first I'm hearing about that. Your not really tethering, just linking the phone up to a larger display and keyboard. Isn't tethering when you use your phone as a modem for another device such as an actual computer or ps3/xbox? I know the mobile hotspot feature is extra. Anybody else heard of this? Would seriously kill my plans for getting the lapdock if true.

**EDIT**
Ok, so just looked into it and you don't have to pay more if you use it with wi-fi only...phew!!...Still doesn't really make sense to me why we should have to pay for even more data...I guess with the bigger screen people are more likely to stream movies and stuff. Oh well, ill be using it on wi-fi only then.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does running a lap dock modify the UI at all or is it just your phone on a bigger screen? I don't see how they could justify requiring a tether package for that and not for using HDMI to an external monitor.... and I'm going to be p*ssed if I have to pay the tethering fee to use my HDMI feature

ConqSoft

Reaction score
Well, you get a full keyboard also, which will make it easier to use more data more quickly, in theory.

devils3023

Reaction score
Does running a lap dock modify the UI at all or is it just your phone on a bigger screen? I don't see how they could justify requiring a tether package for that and not for using HDMI to an external monitor.... and I'm going to be p*ssed if I have to pay the tethering fee to use my HDMI feature

It does change the UI when displayed on the lapdock but you still only have access to what is currently installed on your phone. It's not like tethering to your personal computer where you can run heavy data consuming software programs and are using a faster processor. Makes no sense to me that they will charge more to use the lapdock on the network. There is no fee to use the HDMI mirror mode, and the only difference between that and the lapdock is the use of the physical keyboard instead of the phone as the input device.