Lapdock 500 Pro first thoughts and complaints

vaeron

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Introduction:

Here's the background as to why I bought the Lapdock 500 Pro from Motorola for my DROID RAZR. I currently have very slow internet at my apartment, but spend very little time there. I spend just enough time that when I'm doing homework for my online college classes I have to have internet. I looked at how much the Lapdock cost in comparison to what I was spending on internet and decided to give it a shot. The local Verizon Wireless corporate store did not have any of this larger lapdock in stock so I took it upon myself to try it out at home. After some frustrating ordering on Verizon's website I finally got it ordered on Friday the 13th, bad omen already. Anyway, I received the lapdock yesterday via FedEx and opened it up.

Pros:
  • Beautiful matte screen (I hate glossy screens)
  • Keyboard feels solid
  • Webcam
  • 2x USB
  • VGA Out
  • Internet whenever I need it (I have unlimited data)
Cons:
  • Slow...very very slow (to be fair my cell phone is running a laptop setup)
  • Doesn't play nice with my school web applications (Sole reason I purchased it)
  • Doesn't play nice with Splashtop to connect to my server to be able to use some of my school software (My backup plan)
  • Had a weird experience upon plugging my RAZR in this morning. It restarted my phone, then froze it on the loading screen. I had to unplug it and wait for the phone to die before it would reset (The hard reset vol down and power button did not work)
  • Won't always connect to my phone and will flicker (Almost seems like the connection isn't solid)
Conclusion:

Sadly I don't think phones are quite to the point yet where it is a usable laptop replacement. If all you need it for is basic browsing or maybe some basic document editing in Google Docs the system is great. It is also great for streaming Netflix or listening to music, but not being able to install other applications (since it is based on Linux) puts a damper on the capabilities. I need Java Runtime for my class, or at the very least some sort of remote desktop to be able to connect. The concept is great, but sadly in this reviewer's opinion, the technology isn't quite there. I will be taking it back to Verizon later this afternoon.

jtpowell

Reaction score
I've had the same problem plugging up my LapDock 100. Things tend to work out better if you connect right after a reboot or boot plugged up to the LapDock. I wouldn't hold much promise for web based apps that aren't really HTML5. If the web app requires anything active X forget about it. The Citrix client though really shines though but most people probably don't even have access to a Citrix server. Saying the native LapDock desktop is slow is being kind. Things fare better running the phone's native window at full screen.

OP
V

vaeron

Reaction score
The big problem with right after reboot its that I shouldn't have to reboot. I like the concept but am not happy with the implementation. As for HTML5, that is why everything that I develop is HTML5. If you can't use something in a Web browser it takes the universal aspect out of what you are doing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

pinoy_92

Reaction score
can you make a video? i know its asking too much, but i kinda want to see it in action.

OP
V

vaeron

Reaction score
Let me see what I can do, I will have to find a vid cam since there is no video capture available.

jtpowell

Reaction score
I think it's the way the LapDock app runs. Unless I'm mistaken it's an Android app like the rest of the apps. That's one reason why it needs a reboot. It's not based on Linux in but based on Android in a way and there's a big difference in that regard. Yes, I know Android is based on Linux but we're not running Linux we're running Android. It's definitely not a laptop replacement. Just a different way to access your phone.

OP
V

vaeron

Reaction score
I think it's the way the LapDock app runs. Unless I'm mistaken it's an Android app like the rest of the apps. That's one reason why it needs a reboot. It's not based on Linux in but based on Android in a way and there's a big difference in that regard. Yes, I know Android is based on Linux but we're not running Linux we're running Android. It's definitely not a laptop replacement. Just a different way to access your phone.

This ArsTechnica article is where I got the Linux base, specifically Ubuntu, I have not verified it with Motorola as of yet. Hands-on: Motorola Atrix's Ubuntu-powered WebTop experience

I was assuming that a newer version of this was what was on our RAZRs.

pinoy_92

Reaction score
btw, ive been wondering how about the battery life? how long can it last with/without the phone?

and i know its a long shot, but can you install windows on it instead of ubuntu but still have the same features?

and would it work with a phone that has a custom rom installed?

can it connect to 3g/4g without the phone?

could you please also post the specs of the laptop.

OP
V

vaeron

Reaction score
btw, ive been wondering how about the battery life? how long can it last with/without the phone?

and i know its a long shot, but can you install windows on it instead of ubuntu but still have the same features?

and would it work with a phone that has a custom rom installed?

can it connect to 3g/4g without the phone?

could you please also post the specs of the laptop.

The Lapdock 500 Pro is simply an advanced dock for the DROID RAZR. It runs off of an internal partition on the phone. There is no operating system installed on the Lapdock itself. Battery life was fine for what I had it unplugged. I ran it for about two hours and the phone and dock were at about 80% with lots of texting and a phone call or two, mainly browsing. There is no running it without the phone.

Specs are a 14" Matte 1366x768 screen, webcam, vga output, full keyboard, trackpad, 2xusb, audio jack, SD card reader, ethernet. You can read more at Motorola Lapdock

As far as the 3G/4G, since it is your phone running it, the lapdock does use your phone's wireless radios, such as 3G/4G and WiFi.

pinoy_92

Reaction score
so without the phone its just a big paper weight? no internal HD at all? if so, where did firefox come from?

OP
V

vaeron

Reaction score
Correct, without the phone it would be a paperweight. Firefox comes from the Webtop system.

OP
V

vaeron

Reaction score
Yeah, I am actually trading it in for the HD Station as I type this.

Gleason81

Reaction score
I've had the same problem plugging up my LapDock 100. Things tend to work out better if you connect right after a reboot or boot plugged up to the LapDock. I wouldn't hold much promise for web based apps that aren't really HTML5. If the web app requires anything active X forget about it. The Citrix client though really shines though but most people probably don't even have access to a Citrix server. Saying the natipDock desktop is slow is being kind. Things fare better running the phone's native window at full screen.

HD Dock for RAZR caused my camera to fail to initialize almost every time after UNdocking. Moto has great concepts that just don't seem to quite cut it. Still not gonna give up on Motorola phones, definitely best radios and best build...hands down.

Gleason81

Reaction score
Yeah, I am actually trading it in for the HD Station as I type this.

HD dock made my phone laggy after undocking. Camera also would "fail to initialize" about half the time after undocking. Buyer beware. Laggy interface while docked also.