kinda complicated sync question

chiocci

Reaction score
I am moving to a Droid real soon. I am also retiring soon and so I will be creating new email counts to use as well. I looked at Gmail but it didn't seem to work well with Windows Live mail (big surprise). I looked at Hotmail, but it has been down all day (not confidence inspiring). I want something that can be used with a mail client that automatically syncs my on line calender and contacts so I can see my contacts and schedules on line when traveling.

Now I want it all to sync automatically over the air with my Droid. Any recommendation on the total combo that works best with this phone?

Thanks
Chuck

summerfieldjason

Reaction score
Google works the best. It auto sync's with my droid almost immedietly. Just go to gmail and set up a free account and a free calendar

rosedith

Reaction score
Why do you need it to sync with Windows Live Mail? Droid is all about syncing with Google apps so Gmail and Google Calendar are the way to go. You enter your Gmail account when you set up the Droid and the whole thing is so seamless that I can't imagine doing it any other way. You can reach your Gmail and Calendar from any computer so it is super easy to keep it synced with your Droid. There is no need to keep any of it on a computer as long as you have an internet connection or phone connection with your Droid.

Actually, while I am extolling the virtues of Gmail, it can easily pull in mail from other accounts and reply to people as if it is coming from those accounts. I've been pulling my domain and work accounts into Gmail for years so I guess I'm a little biased on how easy it is.

OP
C

chiocci

Reaction score
Actually, while I am extolling the virtues of Gmail, it can easily pull in mail from other accounts and reply to people as if it is coming from those accounts. I've been pulling my domain and work accounts into Gmail for years so I guess I'm a little biased on how easy it is.

Actually you just kit the key point. I have a junk account that I expose on line. It's with live.com. It is everywhere I go on line and I don't expose my Gmail address except to friends. It would be a ton of work to get rig of the live.com account and change all the places to a new address. You are saying that I can see ALL mail, including the live.com account, from within the Gmail account? That's cool.

I have never been big on web mail. I like the look and feel of a mail client, but I am sure I can deal with it.

Thanks
Chuck

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree here. Using Google is the best way for this device.

OP
C

chiocci

Reaction score
I checked GoogleMail and they offer an import function intended for those LEAVING another provider and will only offer to import mail for 30 days. There is also an option to add pop3 mail, but they don't offer the correct options to add the Windows Live mail account to the Gmail interface (which is why I prefer mail clients over web mail).

Suggestions welcome.
Thanks
Chuck

OP
C

chiocci

Reaction score
This is a joke Droid fans (a bad joke). I have done a ton of research to try to get the Droid to sync between an on line email/calendar system and a separate email client. I do NOT like the feel and look of web mail and I prefer a mail client.

I tried Windows live mail and it works great with both my Gmail and Hotmail accounts, but because I have a Droid, I want to sync with the Gmail calendar. I can do that but I have to log on to web mail to see it on my computer. You can’t see Gmail’s calendar with the Live Mail client because you can only use a Windows Live login. The Windows Live calendar will only sync with a Microsoft calendar and the Droid won’t sync with the Microsoft mail calendar. I can’t believe how much politics is involved in buying a phone.

I tried Mozilla Thunderbird. Nice calendar, no sync. They have another calendar client to use with their mail client. Now I get to check two things. That won’t work.

If the Droid, based on a Google operating system, is flawless when used with web mail, why can’t they just tie the web mail to a mail client the way Microsoft does? …. Or maybe give us a web mail interface that looks like a mail client.

Help!
Chuck