Kicking off May with a Bang: NFL, Boxing, Avengers, and more

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Hmm.. People seem to be ticked that Mayweather won.. I didn't watch a lot.. But it looked like pacman was delivering the goods.. Imho.. I hate fights at lower weights.. I kind heavy weights.. The big boys with the power to make the big hurts. . Just my 2 cents.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Hmm.. People seem to be ticked that Mayweather won.. I didn't watch a lot.. But it looked like pacman was delivering the goods.. Imho.. I hate fights at lower weights.. I kind heavy weights.. The big boys with the power to make the big hurts. . Just my 2 cents.
Mayweather is the better technical boxer and it showed. I didn't watch the fight, but went by stats and the updates on ESPN. I think in terms of jabs landed it was 120-76 or something, Mayweather's favor. That tells you he was countering and carefully picking his hits. Pac comes out like a Tasmanian devil on Red Bull, and I told everyone that Pac had to KO/TKO Mayweather by round 5 or Mayweather wins by decision. Even the twitter update on ESPN said Pac exerted a crazy amount of energy in round 5.

I don't watch boxing at all pretty much, but this was a very predictable fight and Mayweather knew it. He boxed his usual conservative style and betted on Pac using up all his energy. The fight in no way matched the hype and that's why people are ticked off about Mayweather winning. That's how Mayweather wins and has won, by outlasting his opponents and boxing smarter.

3yrs ago when the fight was supposed to happen, Pac might've knocked him out. Nowadays, Pac doesn't have that punching power anymore and even then it would be hard to connect on a good hit versus a smarter boxer in Mayweather. As much as I don't like Mayweather, the record speaks for itself.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Good point. Though I've always enjoyed the lighter weight classes simply because they move much faster and typically throw more punches, though that isn't always the case. As long as it's a good fight and well matched I enjoy watching a good fight regardless of weight class. (just not enough to pay the PPV costs these days)
I know MMA took over and became more popular than boxing, but I've always felt there's more skill involved with boxing. Perhaps I'm just old school, but I've never been a fan of the pinning down & beating your opponent senseless aspect in MMA style fighting.

S5 tap'n

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Good point. Though I've always enjoyed the lighter weight classes simply because they move much faster and typically throw more punches, though that isn't always the case. As long as it's a good fight and well matched I enjoy watching a good fight regardless of weight class. (just not enough to pay the PPV costs these days)
I know MMA took over and became more popular than boxing, but I've always felt there's more skill involved with boxing. Perhaps I'm just old school, but I've never been a fan of the pinning down & beating your opponent senseless aspect in MMA style fighting.

S5 tap'n
MMA has taken over boxing because of how ruthless it really can be. However, to me, it's just about as boring as boxing can be, instead it's two opponents hugging it out on the floor instead of standing up. And oh yeah, the refs don't have to stop the hugging like they do in boxing. It's human nature to enjoy seeing two people absolutely trying to destroy each other and MMA offers a better chance at that because of the different rules versus boxing.

Think about this though:
Mayweather is the greatest technical boxer of his generation and he's hated (though his "character" certainly doesn't help).
GSP is the most technical MMA fighter of his generation and he's loved by everybody.

Boxing is about hitting and not getting hit, something Mayweather is very good at. He picks and chooses his punches. He wins by quality, not quantity, and definitely not by the odds of getting a knockout. Again, he outlasts his opponents and goes on the offensive when his opponents are tired. It's a winning formula and that's why he's undefeated. All the hugging and dancing is methodical and in the end he gets the W. He's as boring as watching paint dry, but a win is a win.

Reactions: cr6
OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Watched it and will say those who were looking for some action wasted 100 bucks if they paid for the ppv. I agree mma has taken over, and I am not a mma fan. Boxing has seen its last big fight. Gone are the days of the sugar Ray Robinson, Ali Frazier, etc. The fact it took 5 years to get that (that being what we saw tonight). That is why I like mma (ufc) they put on the fights people want to see without taking forever.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I watched a few rounds this morning.. This isn't amateur boxing.. That limp twitch Mayweather was doing with his left.. Shouldn't be counted as a punch.. I wouldn't have scored it as one.. I think there needs to be some solid rules laid down to the judges who score these fights... So everyone is clear what a punch is or isn't... I bet if pacman would've know that those were punches.. He'd have deflected them..

I don't personally care who won.. But i will say.. A person that backed up all night and won like this.. Should NEVER compare himself to a fighter like Ali..

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So we are all in agreement?

Boxing is dead (as I said in this week's Weekend round up).

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Boxing isn't what it used to be.. But boxing has a history of fights being thrown, dives taken for the sake of the rematch... Why can't things just be honest anymore?? Lol

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
So we are all in agreement?

Boxing is dead (as I said in this week's Weekend round up).
I wouldn't say it's dead, but the perception of it has definitely changed thanks to MMA. The fact you can't pin your opponent and just start pounding on him makes for a more fair fight, there is more equal ground in boxing vs MMA, imo.

MMA is the more violent of the two, cuts don't really stop a fight unless it's a huge one. With the rise of MMA in the past few years and its exposure to the public, we've become a bit more desensitized to the violence of boxing. I'm not saying MMA isn't a technical sport, it's as technical as boxing, but with the rules the way they are, it's more difficult to have equal fighting. In MMA it could be like a striker vs a grappler, you don't get those kind of specialty mismatches in boxing.

Again I don't keep up with either sport, so my perception may be wrong, but from what I know about the two sports, that's how I compare them. What I do know is that MMA has changed what the public thinks of violent sports. I guess you could say boxing is more of a "gentleman's sport" and MMA is more "violent sport" as I've heard some comparisons. Either way, no doubt people would find MMA more entertaining than boxing.

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
Boxing isn't what it used to be.. But boxing has a history of fights being thrown, dives taken for the sake of the rematch... Why can't things just be honest anymore?? Lol
Honesty......what is that??:(

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Boxing and mma both take their toll quickly.. Listen to pros talk, years after they get out of the ring.. Mma actually may not be as bad.. More body, choke and joint shots than head.. Just like a lot of football players.. Even with a helmet.. Taking shots to the head causes big problems later on. .

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Well said dezy & 94lt1. Personally I'm not a fan of MMA, although I can respect the fighters. I simply don't have a need to watch two guys (or girls for that matter) beat each other to a bloody pulp. The whole cauliflower ear thing gets me too. At least let them wear some ear guards like wrestlers do.

S5 tap'n

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Well said dezy & 94lt1. Personally I'm not a fan of MMA, although I can respect the fighters. I simply don't have a need to watch two guys (or girls for that matter) beat each other to a bloody pulp. The whole cauliflower ear thing gets me too. At least let them wear some ear guards like wrestlers do.

S5 tap'n
I watched some old MMA clips from the early days of UFC. Now THOSE were brutal fights. Literally no holds bar. The way MMA is today, it's pretty well protected compared to what it used to be.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Yeah the days of the ground and pound... Are close to over.. Ore people train for surprise submission holds now.. Joint locks aren't a laughing matter. Especially to athletes.. In your late 20's on up.. A broken bone can end your career.. Or cause nagging injuries to reoccur... Lots of em with injuries, are taking a year off, getting on hgh (which is legal in the US, as long as you're not selling it) but its still outlawed in the sanctioning bodies.. They do this to try to heal up.. But its the brain that can't catch up.. Idk about with hgh.. I know that most fighters get a level of "punch drunk" in their later years..