keyboard adhesive coming off?

velocity92c

Reaction score
Earlier tonight I started to notice a popping sound while typing. After studying my phone a little I noticed its got some bumps, most notably around the spacebar where it appears the keyboard adhesive is coming loose. I verified this by lifting a little with a butter knife. This wouldn't bother me except for the popping sound every other letter. It makes the popping sound even if I just touch the keys without actually pressing them, so I know its the adhesive. Can I just get some super glue, or get a new keyboard that has adhesive? This phone is less than 2 months old, would this be covered under warranty? I have insurance but don't want to pay a 90 dollar deductible over this.

Ludacrosse05

Reaction score
I had the same problem and was able to receive a new Droid from a Verizon store, of course after a little friendly arguing.

OP
V

velocity92c

Reaction score
I guess Ill give the vzw store a try. I didn't think they'd replace it but now that I know they will I won't take no for an answer.

JerrytheGreat

Reaction score
All,
I found a pretty easy fix for people with a lifting keypad on their droid phone, especially if you're out of warranty like me. I just fixed mine 2 days ago, and its still great, so I figured I'd share:

Rubber Cement and a small paintbrush

That's right, rubber cement!!
Just gently lift the keypad along the bottom edge (under the spacebar), and gently peel the bottom up, so you can slide a ballpoint pen or pencil under the bottom of the keypad. I used a pocketknife to do this. DO NOT completely remove the keypad!!
Using rubber cement, and a small paintbrush (like from a kid's paint kit) carefully spread a THIN layer of rubber cement around on the pink underpad, as well as the underside of the keypad. Keep the pen wedged under the keypad to hold it off the pink bottom for 15 minutes, then remove the pen, and carefully press the keypad back down into place. It will stick!! and it will stay stuck, too!!

If you got some rubber cement on the outside of the phone, just rub off the excess from the surfaces using a cloth, or the edge of your Tshirt.

-jtg